Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mag -20 meteor over Zagreb (pictures and film)

GazOC

do you know when this happened! Not saying it was the same thing, but last night i was out with my scope and i saw a bright object like that in the direction of jupiter! Going from right to left inbetween jupiter and the moon! It was about 11pm UTC

I closed my eyes and made a wish lol

Darren :(

This has been on the Aussi Ice in Space Forum and been shown to be a suspected hoax, or at least the video footage, Spaceweather web site had it on there, but has pulled it while they investigate.

The fire ball could be real, but the footage is suspect, apparently gleaned from You Tube, according to IIS the guy is Spanish and has footage of alleged "fireballs" from all over Spain, of which the last clip in the news report is his.

Mind you, the TV company could be at fault for using any footage to illustrate the story.

The event was reported as happening at 12h 07m 25/07/2007

The video they have linked is here, which I think is the same as GazOC

http://tinyurl.com/yt6jsj

naz

Something that large has got to have hit the ground, and should have been easy to find. As there is no follow up to that event, I doubt if it's genuine. I would like it to be true, as long as nobody suffered any loss or injury from a ground impact.

Ron. :(

I call fake. I make stuff like that in my spare time. The use of the 2-point lens-flare spikes was nice, but since Babylon 5 all diffraction and flare spikes went right out of fashion along with lens element reflections. If I had a decent camera matching program at home it would take me about an hour to knock out something the same.

Something that large has got to have hit the ground, and should have been easy to find. As there is no follow up to that event, I doubt if it's genuine. I would like it to be true, as long as nobody suffered any loss or injury from a ground impact.

Ron. :(

It may have skimmed the atmosphere and never actually hit the ground?

Ant

The only genuine footage of a skimming asteroid that I can recall didn't really look like that, it had a much straighter trajectory.

For a hoot last night I spent half an hour making my own fake footage, but due to the fact that the mighty Windows Vista refuses to work with Quicktime and Divx amongst other things, I cant get the 4 seconds of footage below 45Mb in size. I'll take my laptop home today and compile it on that instead and show it later.

et voila... Not a real fireball, 800k avi (divx codec)

Hopefully none of you will be submitting this to any local london news stations or websites claiming it's real. Took a half hour with Lightwave-3D and a downloaded wallpaper of London. Obviously it would have been better with actual video footage rather than a static backdrop, but it proves a point.

et voila... Not a real fireball, 800k avi (divx codec)

Hopefully none of you will be submitting this to any local london news stations or websites claiming it's real. Took a half hour with Lightwave-3D and a downloaded wallpaper of London. Obviously it would have been better with actual video footage rather than a static backdrop, but it proves a point.

Yep. looks realistic enough to me KTB. But as a side note, do you reckon Win Vista is a :nono: or does it have some merits.

I have too many important progs, and I don't want a headache if I upgrade to Vista, and it is suspect.

Of course every OS MS have created has had problems, I was hoping this latest offering would be trouble free :(

Ron. :)

It's very stable and looks nice, but I built a new dual-core 64-bit PC to run it as it takes a bit of oomph. Drivers are getting a bit easier to find, but still I had to buy a brand-new webcam as my 3-month old one didn't work at all and common programs like Adobe Reader, DivX, Quicktime, Vegas and others STILL dont work with Vista correctly. There are only a couple of anti-virus packages that work with it, and only 1 free 64-bit compatable one. It's like programmers have gotten bored of keeping up with Microsoft. I thought after this time it'd be ok, but it's still a trial. I'd give it 6 months if I were you, unless like me you have other XP computers to hand in the house.

It's very stable and looks nice, but I built a new dual-core 64-bit PC to run it as it takes a bit of oomph. Drivers are getting a bit easier to find, but still I had to buy a brand-new webcam as my 3-month old one didn't work at all and common programs like Adobe Reader, DivX, Quicktime, Vegas and others STILL dont work with Vista correctly. There are only a couple of anti-virus packages that work with it, and only 1 free 64-bit compatable one. It's like programmers have gotten bored of keeping up with Microsoft. I thought after this time it'd be ok, but it's still a trial. I'd give it 6 months if I were you, unless like me you have other XP computers to hand in the house.

I know the saying, you can never have enough RAM, but in the case of Vista, is it not You need a hatfull of it? Is what I have heard.

Is that really the case. I mean My XP runs happily on 1Gb, Premiere Pro 1.5 gets along fine, so would that amount propel Vista, or would I need to double or quadruple it?. That will be the last question :(

Ron. :)

Archived