Mars Through a 200p and 10mm EP

Hi Guys. I had a quick snoop at Mars this evening as the clouds had broken for a while. I had my 200p with a 10mm EP fitted and to be honest it was just a pinky/white looking planet that does not look too big or detailed (cant see any detail). Is this what is to be expected ??? Obviously Venus is just a bright cresent but this is due to it's cloud and the sunlight reflecting off it but I expected more from Mars. When Jupiter was about there was much more detail to be seen even through my old Celestron 114. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that sounds about right. Mars is very small and needs a high magnification and good steady air to bring out the detail. You should be able to make out the white polar cap fairly easily and with a ramp up in power you should be able to see some darker patches on the disc, but only when the sky allows.

I find that a 5mm (or equivalent) is normally about as high a magnification as you can go before over doing it. Too low magnification and the image is too small and bright to see anything, too much magnification and it gets too dim and mushy, you need to get it 'just right' for the prevailing sky conditions or wait until the sky cooperates.

Mars is pretty challenging and getting smaller now it's past opposition. It should be great at the next opposition though - 2014 !. The UK Astro Buy & Sell website is better than E.Bay for used stuff, in my view.

Using the stock 10mm and a barlow will not show you great detail on Mars, I would say a decent EP and a decent barlow or better still a 5, 6 or even 7mm good quality EP, a 7mm should still be ok on not so clear nights whereas you will need a clear night for a 5mm.

I'm glad someone else has had issues with the tiny red thing. I thought it was just me, but clearly not. There are a couple of threads running around the view of Saturn - similar thing, very small and lacking detail. Have peek at those and it'll give you some really useful pointers.

Hi All. A trip to my local Telescope shop whilst her indoors is at her lunchtime job and one 6mm wide angle EP accquired. What she does not see won't hurt :rolleyes:. Now just gotta wait for some clear skys again. :)

8mm EP is about as low as i go on planets.

8mm on an F/10 SCT = 4mm on an F/5 Newt.

I sometimes go to 7mm on my C8, or even 6 (12mm Nagler with 2x TeleXtender), but only on really good nights.

Mars takes time. Your eyes need to adjust to its fairly high surface brightness. An 8" scope should be able to see details on good nights.

According to the weather man I should get a break in the clouds tonite so I might get a chance to give it a go. Gonna have to collimate first though because the Missus asked me to move the scope because she wanted to clean and I went and knocked it one. :)

I could not splash out too much so got a Skywatcher 6mm 66 degree wide angle for £29 at my local shop. Probably cheaper online but by the time you add P+P it would be the same or more. Plus the Missus would see it in the post and I can walk to my local shop and pop it in my pocket. :)

Lol i bought a 13mm ethos and got it delivered to my brothers.She found out a few weeks later and there was red mist everywhere :)

On a serious note your purchase is a nice step up from the stock eyepiece

Well there was a break in cloud cover and I took the scope outside and gave the 6mm a bash. It did make mars a lot bigger and if I'd had more time and maybe a few other factors then I think the detail would deffo have been better. I was only outside for 45 mins or so, so the scope had not cooled properly but as I have a stinking cold at the moment I didn't want to stay out any longer. :)

Well there was a break in cloud cover and I took the scope outside and gave the 6mm a bash. It did make mars a lot bigger and if I'd had more time and maybe a few other factors then I think the detail would deffo have been better. I was only outside for 45 mins or so, so the scope had not cooled properly but as I have a stinking cold at the moment I didn't want to stay out any longer. :)

stinking cold hey... the deception gods seem to have bitten you on the backside:D

Has anyone tried using filters on the red Planet, on a good night it may help to tees out some detail such as #8 light yellow, #56 light green and #23a light red, covers the Maria, Polar caps and dust storms, might be useful to have in hand when 2014 comes round :)

John.

Hi All. A trip to my local Telescope shop whilst her indoors is at her lunchtime job and one 6mm wide angle EP accquired. What she does not see won't hurt :rolleyes:. Now just gotta wait for some clear skys again. :)

Did you know, Rother valley optics do 'wife receipts'

awesome !

Archived