Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASDA £2.93 webcam

Hi C3po, It just would'nt budge no matter what I did, as I said when the meths did'nt work it still had enough grip so the front plate went back on. BigBlueOne.

Removed glue [well ~95%] with extreme difficulty - tried nail varnish, purfume, surgical spirit, baby oil [brill for removing oil paints from hands!] and finally washing-up liquid - each was not entirely successful but in combo got a clear surface to superglue the chromed adapter.

Did noticed, after superglue set overnight, that the sensor appeared streaky [see attached image lower left] but unsure if the vapours of the superglue was the cause - certainly the sensor has not been touched and it was not the during cleaning of the upper half of cam case as it was removed for this.:clouds2:

Has anyone successfully cleaned the sensor cover glass without destroying it? :icon_scratch: I'm not unduly worried as I have a second Asdacam to hand.

Continues raining today so set-up my ETX-70 in lounge + Asdacam with IR block filter for snaps via SharpCap below mostly through double-glazing into garden:hello2:

post-33671-133877772097_thumb.jpg

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nytecam,

Those images are great considering the price payed was it

£2.93 or was you lucky and got them for £1.46.

I,ve not done your mod yet I,ve only done the polarscope cam mod

which Im chuffed to bits with.

BigBlueOne.

I didnt manage to get hold of one of the cheap ones - but bought the £7.50 one anyway... No problems getting the glue off, it just peeled away once I'd levered the front part off - perhaps thats what the extra money gets you :clouds2:

Hi Nytecam, Those images are great considering the price payed was it £2.93 or was you lucky and got them for £1.46. I,ve not done your mod yet I,ve only done the polarscope cam mod which Im chuffed to bits with.

BigBlueOne.

Yep - only paid £1.46 for each Asdacam - this astro lark is so expensive :icon_scratch:

Could you explain your polarscope via the Asdacam - couldn't see how Polaris could be recorded with supplied [almost] pinhole lens :clouds2:

ps: seems really cheap glue used on some expensive webcams :rolleyes:

Hi Nytecam,

I,ve used a 35mm film cannister using a dremel I,ve cut an

opening a tad smaller than the focusing ring of the lens gave me a tight fit some epoxy on both made sure I gave myself enough room

from the body of cam to the bottom of cannister to allow for the up

and movement of cannister to gain focus.

Once the cam slides up onto polarscope its on and off a few times to get focus,but once I have focus aligning polaris is a joy.

It really is amazing the clarity of the image thru the polarscope

with this little webcam.

BigBlueOne.

I,ve also turned down the illumination in the polarscope

to about 32% found it much easier.

Hi Nytecam, I,ve used a 35mm film cannister using a dremel I,ve cut an opening a tad smaller than the focusing ring of the lens gave me a tight fit some epoxy on both made sure I gave myself enough room from the body of cam to the bottom of cannister to allow for the up and movement of cannister to gain focus. Once the cam slides up onto polarscope its on and off a few times to get focus,but once I have focus aligning polaris is a joy. It really is amazing the clarity of the image thru the polarscope

with this little webcam. BigBlueOne. I,ve also turned down the illumination in the polarscope to about 32% found it much easier.

Thanks - I thought in early posts that you were using the cam unmodified afocal to polarscope EP - some hope :clouds2: but you've using the polarscope to focus direct onto the sensor like a finder - must remove a lot of hastle - every [movable] scope should have one :icon_scratch: I love my e-finder on my scope:hello2:

Did noticed, after superglue set overnight, that the sensor appeared streaky [see attached image lower left] but unsure if the vapours of the superglue was the cause - certainly the sensor has not been touched and it was not the during cleaning of the upper half of cam case as it was removed for this.:clouds2:

Has anyone successfully cleaned the sensor cover glass without destroying it? :headbang:

Asda has restocked their webcams so bought two for <£3 :icon_scratch: Remounted one with 1-1/4" EP adapter and cleaned the original webcam sensor [see below] and reset to original as reverse mod!

Cleaning method - used a cottonbud sprayed with BlueFox lens cleaning solution [99p Shop/Poundland] and gently rotated 'bud around sensor surface - needed two goes then mop up residue solution specks with dry 'bud.

Inspection with magnifier showed a streakfree and clean sensor. Immediately capped cam to avoid dust settling on sensor etc. Reasembled and tested on white card target - sensor clean and no dust specks noted - it worked :rolleyes:

I managed to capture Venus through my Meade ETX-125 earlier,

Not the best conditions as I was rushing to get it before it disapeared behind a tree,

But at least I got a few vid's and a couple of grabs through the Asda cam (the high res version),

nothing to write home about I know :)

JJ..

post-23680-133877773442_thumb.jpg

Had look in me local asda whilst was out hunting for cams to mod :) these cams seem to have gone up in price they selling them for around 8 pounds.

must be the ebay thing for them to be 2.93 sure i seen them on ebay for around that price like.

would got one to mod if asda had them cheap

Had look in me local asda whilst was out hunting for cams to mod :) these cams seem to have gone up in price they selling them for around 8 pounds.

must be the ebay thing for them to be 2.93 sure i seen them on ebay for around that price like.

would got one to mod if asda had them cheap

There is an £7.95 (ish) one that has a 1.3Mb sensor and a microphone; the £3/£1.47 one is VGA (~300K) and video only.

For what its worth Tesco have Logitech C110 VGA webcam for £3.95 in their clearance sale in store today [brooklands Surrey]:)
Bought one today for wife's laptop to Skype grandchildren - built-in mic and works fine:hello2:

I went and bought one of these smart price asda cams from gosport yesterday, what a bargain, £1.39. Im using mine for another project involving my fish tank, but that is for another thread :)

Got me asda cam hpc201b today big big thanks to Armsoft for sending me one free for my help with modding cams and got people into modding webcams :(

i shall have to mod this asda cam myself sometime at moment tested on me system loads as usb camera

works pretty cool i put in me software shows as usb camera

with 30 frames per second and at resolution 640 x 480 maximum and in yuy2 and thats what need for astronomy yuy2 thing

and exposure level not too bad actually tested in day light at moment quite sensitive to light had to lower exposure -11 so can see outside.

i havent got round to modding yet will do probably do IR filter removal first test that outside.

not sure either to mod to telescope adapter or maybe test as a-focal cam lens to lens with it been pin hole kinda lens

hmm i shall think about it test before take cam apart.

probably just do ir removal make cam pick up infrared light for now.

Thats me allright.

asdacam1.jpg

Outside through window like and window needs cleaning

See Union jack flag ready for jubilee and euro football just put that up yesterday.

asdacam2.jpg

Archived