Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASDA £2.93 webcam

yeah same here cloudy and need to go outside and wipe me lens clean cos rain drop on it.

mind you good thing been dull weather now as hopefully it clear for solar viewing for venus transit may possibly get view it as now weather is horrible it most likely clear in next couple days over weekend

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where inside the stores will the webcams be? I know it's a silly question but I do hate wandering around stores of any kind, I always like to know exactly where to go to be in and out as fast as possible.

Going tomorrow morning/afternoon to pick one up, assuming of course they still have them, missed the sale prices I know but, wanting one.

If I can't get one, do have a £10.00 voucher for Argos, had a look at some of the HD ones, Microsoft HD3000 (# 938/4071) to be precise. Anyone used a HD cam, any good?

Novarius

i run the microsoft lifecam 5000HD, a few steps up from the one you mentioned.

modding was fairly easy for myself. i removed the whole camera PCB and re-housed into a suitable box.

without installing the windows drivers (on disc) i was able to record at 30FPS in 720p mode. pictures ( my first light and try with webcam) came out ok , but they are sensitive to IR light and give a pink hue look. even installing a astro enginering UV/IR filter i still get a pink hue, but not as bad. and can be removed using gimp or some other software.

mines terrible garden lol full union jacks up and grass needs cutting.

Might be being a bit pedantic, but, its only a Union Jack when on a ship or boat, otherwise its a Union Flag...... IIRC, :hello2:

Gary

OK so. first time imaging Saturn, first time taking a video of anything with tescocam (i know this is an asda cam thread but as I have said before there is no asda near me). first time using registax so please dont take the p**s out of me too much. constructive criticism is fine. I'm quite proud of the results even if i shouldn't be. the Lil Lady actually used MS paint to remove the CA. sometimes the old ways are the best.post-22812-0-12815000-1338858667_thumb.j PS i hand tracked the scope whilst taking the video. don't know if this makes much difference but I'm grasping at any excuse I can.

OK so. first time imaging Saturn, first time taking a video of anything with tescocam (i know this is an asda cam thread but as I have said before there is no asda near me). first time using registax so please dont take the p**s out of me too much. constructive criticism is fine. I'm quite proud of the results even if i shouldn't be. the Lil Lady actually used MS paint to remove the CA. sometimes the old ways are the best.post-22812-0-12815000-1338858667_thumb.j PS i hand tracked the scope whilst taking the video. don't know if this makes much difference but I'm grasping at any excuse I can.

i was in tesco's other day forgot to see what cams they had :)

from look your saturn it looks awesome dude well done guess found another cam worth modding!

mite look for them tesco cams sometime what is it with hobby modding various cams

as each cam as it's own unique look and kind of view through telescope.

I have modded a ps2 eyetoy cam that works great on windows xp but i am having real difficulties locating drivers for windows 7 32bit.

If anyone has any links that don't require me to sign up for vouchers or links to other sites i would greatly appreciate them.

many thanks Pete

I must admit I hadn't given Linux a thought but now you mention it I will have to dig out the old laptop and have a play.

I did take a few moon shots just over a week ago and was impressed with what I got even though I hadn't got it set up right.

I had a few over exposed and a few under exposed and ended up using the black and white option in sharpcap to get anywhere near half decent.

The scope used the was my 3 inch first scope as by the time I had finished modding it was to late to the 5 inch celestron out.

The only thing i have noticed is i seem to have a red cast on the images when using it in colour and wondered if i had not done something quite right or whether it is down to the settings in the software.

regards pete

The only thing i have noticed is i seem to have a red cast on the images when using it in colour and wondered if i had not done something quite right or whether it is down to the settings in the software.

regards pete

this is the IRfilter removed. the red/pink hue is IR light.

to remove this and gain a nice B&W image. just swap the color mixing channels.

red channel : lower red slider all way down, shift blue slider all way up.

blue channel: lower blue all way down, shift red channel all way up, select monochrome.

green channel: leave well alone, no adjustments needed.

image should now be in B&W with the color set correct.

Thank you for the advice Mr TamiyaCowboy.

I did just select b/w option in sharpcap the remedied it pretty quickly but when the skies are clear again i will have a go with your suggested settings.

And hopefully I will fit it to the 5 inch scope and get bigger pics.

Although in reality I should try walking first instead of running as i am still trying to get used to the scope.

Thanks again Pete.

Well i have now finally modded Asda cam as Digital EP ;)

just goto make tubing bit smaller i'm making it so i can attach it either to me 50mm or me 76mm

Tubing was from one them garden solar lights has small tube bit and extra tube bit

Nice asda cam now added to me collection of Digital EP's :)

ASDA1.jpg

ASDA2.jpg

Sensor middle of hole :)

ASDA3.jpg

Just need to roll bit tape around tubing for nice snug fit into telescope :)

It shall be hanged up on me wall next to all me other modded cams ready for when i do some astro imaging.

as each cam has it's own unique view space.

A guide to what I did done ;)

1. unscrew camera lense and opened up the top half of asdacam using a small phillips screwdriver.

2. Pop out lense and IR filter with a fiddle and fumble. Keep cone shape case that held the lense. you will not need the lense and ir filter.

3. pull faceplate off of front casing. The sticky tape can eaily be removed by using a screwdriver to lift an edge and then rubbing it back on itself rolling it up with your fingers. Mine all came off in one easy go. put front case to one side with screws for later.

4. cover sensor immediately with tape to protect.

5. Get camera film case, black. take off cap and keep for later. drill hole in centre of bottom roughly same size as lense cone I told you to keep.

6. Sand to correct size, check cone fits in. it should fit snug, if too loose use tape to friction fit.

7. Sand inside of the cone to make inside diameter wider. I did this untill it was big enough to fit over the circular plastic surrounding the sensor chip creating a snug fit. (under the tape) This enabled me to block out all light coming from the LED to the chip.

8. paint LED black anyway. just to make sure and cover with enough tape to block all visible light. but not too much you cant get the lid back on. (overkilled that biatch)

9. screw lid back on. taking care to be able to still take the tape off of the chip after you put the lid on!

10. insert cone backwards to original design through the film cannister.

11. take off tape from sensor and place protruding cone over the sensor surround.

12. tape together tightly.

13. name it.

Digi Eyepiece AsdaCAM Ken Mod: (AKA)PLANET CAM MK1

as seen on stargazers lounge

post-19345-0-65245300-1339517299_thumb.j

post-19345-0-81940800-1339517318_thumb.j

I know this sounds pathetic, but I know nothing of ccd, first of all, I feel daft, but hey, we get to answers if we dont ask for help. Do you place the camera over the eye piece, sorry if I sound daft, also if you do, do you place the camera on each eye piece you use, thanks for your help guys :p :p

Archived