Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small APOs on planets - experience please...

Hi - I'm in the processing of selecting a small APO frac for use as a travel scope and for imaging.

The question I have is what are the planetary views like through a decent 66mm APO? Can you resolve any detail (e.g. cassini division, cloud bands on Jupiter) or is there simply not enough aperture?

Any thoughts / experience welcome - thanks!

:)

hello gareth

iv got the 72mm WO megrez72 (an apo also) and on planets its ok, but not the best to be honest, going from a 30mm (fairly small) to a 10mm the planets do get bigger but not massively in afriad. the images are fairly sharp though there is a website somewhere (i'll see if i can find it in a sec) that shows you the field of view of an objct through different scope / eyepeices

I recently tried a William Optics Zenithstar 70mm ED for a while. It was a lovely little scope with good optics but struggled to deliver much detail on Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. I actually thought the views of those planets were rather nice through the 70, until I switched to my 102mm Vixen ED and then I realised what was missing !.

I have used my 80mm F/6 APM APO on planets. Cloud belts on Jupiter are certainly visible, and at 120x views of planets are quite nice, but they are not a patch on the detail I get with my C8. I am not sure about the Cassini division, but the rings of Saturn and main surface features are resolved quite nicely.

It is a very nice travel scope, however, and I have had some jaw-dropping views of the North America Nebula and Pelican, and of objects like the Rosette, and M31 and M33.

My Orion ED80 will certainly show the Cassinin division very nicely, and two nights ago gave me quite a bit of detail on Mars, with a very crisp polar cap.

BUT my 127mm Mak shows quite a bit more, but it takes much longer to set up and 30 mins for equilibration....

Chris

Thanks guys - yep I'm sure the dark sky widefield views will be great but i think I'm getting the message that planets wont be in the same league as my current 5" Mak or 6" Newt.

That fov calculator is great for 'scale' but if i put in a 5x barlow and a short FL EP I think the views of the planets thru a 66 are optimistic visually :)

I use a WO66 as my travel scope and would generally agree with the comments made. It gives me something to use when away and performs very well on wide field objects, open clusters etc. I use a 3-6 mm nagler zoom for high power, generally up to the 5 or 4mm setting which gives somewhere around x100 mag. I can see cloud bands on Jupiter when well placed at opposition, I've also seen the GRS and shadow transits too but you have to work hard to see the detail. It is certainly a long way short of my 4" apo, let alone the 8" mak.

As ever, it's a compromise on size, portability and ease of use vs performance. I'd rather have the 66 with me than nothing at all.

Stu

Very good point Michael. I am tempted to try making my old 10" into some form of suitcase scope but also be easy enough to put back into the solid tube. I think this is Shane's intention with his current project.

I can certainly see this as being a very convenient way of having a really decent aperture scope with you when visiting properly dark sites.

Stu

Very good point Michael. I am tempted to try making my old 10" into some form of suitcase scope but also be easy enough to put back into the solid tube. I think this is Shane's intention with his current project.

I can certainly see this as being a very convenient way of having a really decent aperture scope with you when visiting properly dark sites.

Stu

Shanes project and an offer (missed it! :)) on Dutch site TE LES KOOP - Markt voor de Astronomie inspired me. I must make one one day.

Suitcase dob :rolleyes: !!

I'm off to some of the darker parts on NZ later this year and that sounds very tempting!

While randomly browsing some Japanese site, I came across this very interesting 6" sliding Newt. Ok, it's not a dob, but still what a nice design. I'm not entirely sure I'd use it handheld like that bloke at the bottom of the page. I think I will rather carry a bit more weight and take a dob base with me. :)

http://www.kasai-trading.jp/zingaro6.htm

The scope is made in Italy, but I haven't seen anything like it on any European website.

While randomly browsing some Japanese site, I came across this very interesting 6" sliding Newt. Ok, it's not a dob, but still what a nice design. I'm not entirely sure I'd use it handheld like that bloke at the bottom of the page. I think I will rather carry a bit more weight and take a dob base with me. :)

‚y‚h‚m‚f‚`‚q‚n-‚U

The scope is made in Italy, but I haven't seen anything like it on any European website.

Looks very nice, but about 640 euro for a 130mm OTA is a bit steep. For that kind of money I could probably make myself an 8" suitcase dob, no worries.

Edit: is that not a 6" (15 cm F5 is listed at the top of the page). Slightly better deal, but you still need a mount

Archived