Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Amazing stargazing session

SFlowers

We just had a fantastic session and saw loads of amazing things - the highlight of my night has to be the whirlpool galaxy. We've never seen it through our scope before and it was absolutely fantastic. JFlower's highlight was M13 and M3 which we had a look at following people talking about it on here.

Hi Charlie. It's just off ursa major, at the end of the handle if you like. Your best bet is to do what I did and download Stellarium which is free. Then you'll be able to pinpoint anything you want to look at including the whirlpool.

I'm a total beginner as well and I'd be totally lost without Stellarium.

Charlie

Yes M51 and its companion would be visible in you 130p. Try with the 25mm lens fist. Find the end (bottom) of the plough. To the right and up a bit from the end of the plough is another star. M51 is the same distance right again but down to the right..

Its behind a pair of fainter stars...Its tough but you will spot two fuzzy blobs next to each other eventually..

Mark

I think my highlight last night was M81 and M82. Had cloud problems a lot though with wisps coming and going and my cat brushing up against my mount.

M82 is one of my favourites. I am really looking forward to tonight as we are supposedly clear for a good few hours, I've got a nice long list of things to look at.

is m51 visible through the skywatcher 130p ?

i was out for about 1hr tonight, had quick session but saw quite alot, i tried to find m51 for 25mins, but couldnt find it, i saw a blueish star then a tiny star ... but no m51, just darkness and very faint stars next to them.

i saw saturn clearly and its moon (with a 10mm lens and 2x barlow)

had a look at mars ... but tonight was very strange, it looked like 3 dots seperating away and then forming back together .. could this be a colcano erupting ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived