Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help, ideas, suggestions How to get a 16" non-truss Dob into a Subaru solo?

A gym membership! The tube is made of 1cm thick cardboard as Steve can attest ( I used to own one too) and the mirror is quite thick too. It can be down on your own, but it's not going to be easy.

I hope you manage to find a solution as it is a shame to see the scope not being able to be used.

PEterW

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok,

Here is my first prototype of a solution.

1. Mount contraption to hitch on car.

2. Secure castor rollers

3. Move scope next to contraption

4. Put scope on rollers and remove from base

5. Lock rollers.

6. Remove Rollers

7. Secure Scope.

Reverse to remove.

Base goes on top of car.

I still need to make more casters and I need to reinforce the contraption.

But I think I am making progress.

post-34674-133877763449_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877763457_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877763463_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877763469_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877763476_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877763482_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877763488_thumb.jpg

Does that have tail lights? The Police are quite sharp on this as any bike carryng cyclist will tell you.

I'd be worried by the amount of bouncing the mirror cell is going to be taking but, of course, it might be fine. It's just that the outboard rack is a long cantilever. Your other option would be to go to someone like David Lukehurst who can build ultra portable Dob structures for your existing optics.

Olly

If you made a platform for the towbar you could put the ota upright and use a bike rack to secure the top, spreading the weight load ... should make loading easy as you could barrow it to the car.... aim the bottom on the towbar and then push up to the bike rack!

How ya getting on?

better, thank you!

I have now made prototype solution #2.

This version uses the tow bar to transport the base and cart.

The telescope is run into and out of the car on castors.

The castors lock and hold the scope in place for transport.

The back hatch is held open with a foam-protected rod.

post-34674-133877765125_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877765138_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877765144_thumb.jpg

post-34674-13387776515_thumb.jpg

post-34674-133877765156_thumb.jpg

I still cannot understand why you can't just slide it into the boot over a duvet? that way it would fit right in (the tube anyhow).

The scope is too heavy. This operation has to be done by 1 person.

Barnstorm......where are you? with a scope like that, so long as you are prepared to share views, I'd happily help you with transport.

I own a Nissan Navara that would swallow that 'scope up with space to spare!!

:)

I take your point. personally, I'd find an observing buddy and get them to help :rolleyes: would be more fun and surely there's someone near you would like a look through a 16" dob? :)

Keep in mind I have to use the car the next day. It is one thing to have some one drive out to load the scope but another to have them drive back to unload it at 4am.

Cool I like the Buffalo Air hoody!

I would have thought the tube would be roof mounted in some form of cargo carry thing to protect it, and the base in the boot.

I love Buffalo Air also. Again, the problem is the scope weighs 100+ lbs and is not something I'm willing to lift over my head solo.

Barnstorm......where are you? with a scope like that, so long as you are prepared to share views, I'd happily help you with transport.

I own a Nissan Navara that would swallow that 'scope up with space to spare!!

:eek:

Great! But you're going to have to install floats on your Nissan. I live 30 miles east of Cincinnati USA.

From some angles it looks like you could put the car inside the scope !

Yeah ! put the engine & wheels on the scope and strap the subaru on top ! (no - that would be daft - leave the car chassis and drive the scope) Sorry im in a bit of a silly mood.

until you can find time for a more permanent solution one possible interim solution is to remove the primary each time you travel. at least this way the tube is more evenly weighted and there's also a reduced risk of damaging the mirror. if you made or bought a secure box then this would all go in the car relatively easily I think?

Now you have mentioned the aircraft project (WOW!), you will have to post pics...:)

The project is not yet much to look at. It will be my fourth gyroplane.

Some photos of my current gyro here:

Favorites of 2010 - a set on Flickr

until you can find time for a more permanent solution one possible interim solution is to remove the primary each time you travel. at least this way the tube is more evenly weighted and there's also a reduced risk of damaging the mirror. if you made or bought a secure box then this would all go in the car relatively easily I think?

Yes, that is a valid idea. Thank you.

It might be a solution but removing the primary again and again gives me the he-be-ge-bees.

I hope good solution can be produced that is more plug-and-play if you get my meaning.

• 1 month later...
How you getting on?

Sent from my HD2Droid

thanks!

The system is working out OK. It takes almost an hour to pack the car but once I have everything in place unpacking and repacking at the dark site only takes about 20 minutes.

Archived