Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

second saturn attempt at 640x480 DSLR

billhinge

First processed image of best 2000/6500 stacked images taken with GH2 micro four thirds and C11, 3.5 mins of quicktime mpeg

Previously I used a HD mode and accidentally used the digital zoom. This time I used the low res 640x480 native 1:1 binning mode. Weather was awful, had to wait till 3.00am for a brief gap in the clouds and clear view, humidity approx 96%. Having said that I'm happy how out it came out. In hindsight I should have used a x2 barlow to get to f20?

Wrt to Saturn, I have several thousand other images taken over approx 20 min in other files, is it a good idea to add those to increase the sample size?

Strangely I had to process this on the mac with lynkeos using native quicktime, I couldn't get Registax or AS!2 to work with the converted AVI files - exposure was very dark and they kept failing

(plus the penny seems to have dropped as to how to use lynkeos)

post-22594-133877762581_thumb.jpg

That's pretty good!!! I love it.

I've done exactly the same. My setup was Nikon D3100, Explorer 200P Eq5 (no tracking yet) and MacBook Pro. I've actually taken a 720p video, because the 640x480 wouldn't improve the planet size but actually would loose detail.

I've also used Lynkeos and had better luck then Registax. I've converted the quicktime files (MOV) to AVI and tried with registax, but nothing would happen (it wouldn't give me any chance to stack for some reason - but no error). Lynkeos has been just wonderful, quick and easy :D

Did you also use any tipe of tracking?

I have piled up 2 barlow lenses to achieve a better zoom (the image would look darker though). I put a SW 2x inside a TAL 2x. Depending on the camera, you should have an exposure compensation, to get a brighter image. You will also be able to correct the gamma on Lynkeos and then use the double size option when stacking.

Scroll this thread and see what I got with Barlows, dSLR and Lynkeos. I used always less then 300 frames and can't complain as they are my first attempts.

Clear Skies.

Hi

I did a bit more tweaking to the previous image

It was taken with a C11 on a CG-ASGT mount, typically about 4 mins of video (MPEG 30fps @ 640x480 - no barlow)

I did try a barlow last night, used a mask to focus on Arcturus and thought I had good focus. I used a x2 barlow this time but when I came to process the image it was slightly blurred so wasted an entire night. I had about 4 x 7 mins of video so not happy. I was quite disappointed on the dimness of the image using the barlow but I read that I need a minimum f12 for optimum resolution and my C11 is f10, hence my attempt with the barlow

So maybe I need to give up on the barlow or improve my focusing?

post-22594-133877763101_thumb.jpg

Hmm, according to one of the online calculators, by using the combination I did I ended up with a magnification of x1900 !!

May explain why the image was dim and saturn was so huge :confused:

If I change the scale to 1920x1280 it gets the magnification down to a more respectable x650 :)

that's very weird. Did Saturn look focused on the camera's viewfinder? Using barlow the images loose resolution and brightness anyway :) But the stacking and processing should fix those things :confused:

Thanks guys, I managed to get some decent seeing last night and I'm just doing a quick processing now before hopefully nipping out to catch venus. I think the next batch will be a bit of improvement

I was wondering about those dinky dfk/dmk thingies ;-)

I'll post my latest later and see what you think as to how much they would improve with a dfk/dmk :)

Keep at it mate!!

what do you think? I hope you don’t mind, I had a play with your image in Regi6.

I’m sure there is plenty of folk on here that has a tweak or two up his/her sleeve to really bring out this image. Plug away.;O)

cozzy-albums-first-efforts-jupiter-mars-saturn-picture17091-saturn-tweak.jpg

Thanks Cozzy

I've moved over to windows to process using Registax, I think it seems to have improved the sharpness a little. Lynkeos seems easier to use but I have my doubts about the quality of the selection process ;-)

Can't get on with registax 6 so using v5,

I'll post my best image shortly

Thanks Cozzy

I've moved over to windows to process using Registax, I think it seems to have improved the sharpness a little. Lynkeos seems easier to use but I have my doubts about the quality of the selection process ;-)

Can't get on with registax 6 so using v5,

I'll post my best image shortly

Do you think this is an improvement, a bit noisier due to fewer frames but arguably sharper and more realistic?

(this is stacked via registax 5, with a quick tweak in an image processing prog)

edit: oops the uploaded version comes out small and not as clear as the original - I'll have a tweak later - need to click on it to enlarge

I have some more in FITS format to fiddle with yet

post-22594-133877766409_thumb.jpg

Thanks Atlas, do you think that something like a DFK* gives a significant step up given that I'm confined to a suburban back garden set up or should I just continue to refine my technique using the DSLR. (personally I think there is quite a bit of room for improvement, e.g. I haven't got my exposure with a x2 barlow perfected yet, the last lot came out very underexposed. Also I used a Bahtinov mask to focus on Arcturus, but perhaps I should have refined the focusing on the rings?, additionally I think some experimentation is needed as whether I use MPEG or AVCHD video)

Archived