SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturns moons

There were some background stars near to Saturn tonight which confused matters as they could easily be confused for further moons. I managed to clearly ID Titan, Rhea, Tethys and Dione with my 102mm refractor this evening. I've seen Enceledus with my 10" scope but it's usually beyond the reach of my 102mm, as it was tonight. The Cassini division was quite nicely displayed during moments of good seeing too.

Similar results here from Spain. Crisp and clear night. Followed Saturn for a solid hour or so. Checked and double checked and checked again. 5 points of light, 3 in vertical axis, two to the side.

i didnt observe saturn for long last night but definately can see titan quite easily. if saturn is the centre of a clock face ,titan was at around the 1 o'clock possition.

stellarium should help,you can zoom in "tsmith001" or use you occulars settings,if that helps.

and knobby, thats just showing off man :):headbang:

i didnt observe saturn for long last night but definately can see titan quite easily. if saturn is the centre of a clock :oface ,titan was at around the 1 o'clock possition.

stellarium should help,you can zoom in "tsmith001" or use you occulars settings,if that helps.

and knobby, thats just showing off man :):headbang:

Just excited ;-)

I was still out looking at Saturn at about the time that you posted, OP. I could definitely make out 6 of the moons you can see in Stellarium. I couldn't see Hyperion but I think Mimas was possibly visible as a brighter patch against the disc of Saturn during the occasional moment of better seeing, though it could have been an optical illusion. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make out the Cassini division last night :)

Hmm, on further reading I probably didn't see Mimas - a bit of wishful thinking there, maybe?

Possibly so, especially if the seeing conditions were not good enough to resolve the Cassini division.

Archived