Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comets.

Mcphisto

Has anyone ever seen any of the major comets through their powerful scopes? Obviously someone has being an Astronomy forum :) I was just wondering how good a view it would have been? Would it be a detailed close-up of a giant dirty snowball, or more of a blur kind of thing? Any pictures? :)

Most of the major comets present quite a large image when they are at there best and are best viewed at low power. Although the nucleus may well be visible, it is almost always surrounded by gas and dust so no detail is visible.

I have turned a telescope on some of the brighter comets of the last 20 years but tend to find that binoculars provide the best views of large / bright comets. Where my scope is at it's best is finding the faint ones that no one but us nerds bother about!

I agree with David. Of all I observed, binoculars give the best view since the nucleus is surrounded by a bright glowing gas. For the fainter ones (beyond naked eye magnitude), binoculars may work for those up to about 8th magnitude but fainter ones will require a moderate sized scope.

For the brightest comets, a camera can be mounted on a tripod and with an exposure of about 20-30 seconds, a nice record of it can be obtained. I did this with Comet Halley - I positioned the comet between myself and my scope and with a long exposure, the picture was awesome - showing its long tail using ISO 100 film.

Great replies! I always remember missing Comet Halley as a kid, stuck with me that because it was shown on that famous battle of Hasting thingy (lost for the correct term) which we were learning about in history lessons, hopefully I'll see it next time. I'll have my stuff ready by then! :)

The Bayeux Tapestry I think you're looking for :D

William was cool, taking arrows to the body and making a meme before it was in fashion...:(

I remember fiddling with the scope and checking on Hale-bop when it was around. Nice to see, but

like David says it was too much power and should of used binos really, but thats all I had at the time, either that or eyeballs..

It was in the North East with the tails going roughly southwards meaning (and I'm guessing) it would've been 'on approach' to the sun?

Hopefully someone might enlighten us, because it's something that's bugged me for years..:D

No pictures I'm afraid just memories, but I remember it vividly hanging in the sky in the afternoon and not long after the Shoemaker Levey 9 comet

hit Jupiter if I recall - also one of the things that got me seriously into astro.

Anyway, enough of the blurb, how are you getting on with the scope choice mate? Lots to choose huh.

Best,

Glen

Ps, same with Halleys comet, couldn't go :)

I took a shot with EP projection using a C8 and a Vixen 36mm EP. What you see is a curious concentric shells in the central coma of the comet, similar to bow shocks. The actual comet core is just a few kilometres across, and too small to resolve. The poor quality stems from the fact that the image below is a scan of a print of a slide.

hbop2.jpg

Nice shot Micheal thanks for sharing, and on film too!

Can I ask; what causes the shock wave seen in your pic[?] is it more to do with the gases emitted from the nuclei, or something else?

And to Mr Q (sorry, don't know your name:o) any chance of a pic?

ha, :D similar, had a Tasco newt for the view (see test subject) that now has a satellite dish attached to the 'some what' wobbly mount..

Useless now though as all the aluminum's gone on the mirror :(

Anyway, enough of the blurb, how are you getting on with the scope choice mate? Lots to choose huh.

Best,

Glen

Ps, same with Halleys comet, couldn't go :(

I picked up my Mak 127 and an EQ3 mount with Synscan today. I finish work in an hour (midnight) and gonna go home and assembly it a bit, not too much just see what's in the boxes really. And find a way to power the computer up as I don't think it comes with a power cord and I haven't got the moolah for one of them power packs, that's for sure! Thanks for the help Glen :D

Nice shot Micheal thanks for sharing, and on film too!

Can I ask; what causes the shock wave seen in your pic[?] is it more to do with the gases emitted from the nuclei, or something else?

And to Mr Q (sorry, don't know your name:o) any chance of a pic?

I am not sure what causes them. It could be periodic outbursts of material from the nucleus, I suppose. I do know Pic du Midi observed the same structure with the 2m scope:

Pic du Midi Observatory Images of Comet Hale-Bopp

Ahh yes makes sense, they had the rotation times of just under 12 hours, I suppose this could be tide to the spacing of the curves seen. Thanks for the link Michael :D

Mcphisto thats a fine scope, and with the eq mount your on the right tracks for a dabble in astrophots when the time comes. Might want to get Stelerium on the computer if you haven't already and think about getting a few viewing lists, like the Luna 100 and Messier. Also an observing log of some kind, they can all be downloaded for free on the net. :(

Mcphisto thats a fine scope, and with the eq mount your on the right tracks for a dabble in astrophots when the time comes. Might want to get Stelerium on the computer if you haven't already and think about getting a few viewing lists, like the Luna 100 and Messier. Also an observing log of some kind, they can all be downloaded for free on the net. :D

Every time I try Stellarium it loads and flashes wildly, so bad you think it's gonna make you have a fit! I've given up on it. But I do have the Messier list and Sky-Walk on my iPad.

I put the mount together last night, instructions were a joke. I just need a power supply now and a clear night with a few spare hours! Not gonna happen is it! Lol. I also bought a t-ring for my DSLR, so I'll be taking some moon shots to start off right away! :(

:( Yeah, best just to put it together and stare at it for a day, getting used to what all the dials do etc

Do a few dummy runs on polar aliment as well like i mentioned and you should be good to go, just remember to align the finder in the daytime - it'll make things a snap when you do it for real. With the power supply think about getting a maplins 12v booster pack or something similar and the lead for the mount, you can get 240v dc converters but not advisable at all because of dew, and we all know what that combo can do...

Try an older version of stellarium, I know what you mean about the flashing - blimey, no good if you was epileptic :D

Anyway , good to see you're up a running any questions just ask.

Also, anyone got the name for the comet next year, sounds like something to look forward to :)

• 2 weeks later...
:) Yeah, best just to put it together and stare at it for a day, getting used to what all the dials do etc

Do a few dummy runs on polar aliment as well like i mentioned and you should be good to go, just remember to align the finder in the daytime - it'll make things a snap when you do it for real. With the power supply think about getting a maplins 12v booster pack or something similar and the lead for the mount, you can get 240v dc converters but not advisable at all because of dew, and we all know what that combo can do...

Try an older version of stellarium, I know what you mean about the flashing - blimey, no good if you was epileptic :D

Anyway , good to see you're up a running any questions just ask.

Also, anyone got the name for the comet next year, sounds like something to look forward to :)

Sorry for the late reply Glen, I didnt know anyone replied, I wish there was a way to know that!?

Anyway, took scope out for the first time last night, didnt bother with the synscan or finder...had a few too many beers to care lol, but we seen Saturns rings (very small on a 28mm lens), but still great stuff considering we had bad skies and we didnt cool the scope down etc. Hoping for clear skies this tuesday and I'll take it somewhere a bit better then and set it all up for the night! :(

:D good to hear you had first (blurry) light with the scope and got Saturn in the bag. I know what you mean with just plonk it down and look, Tend to do this myself for a quick peek at something, although try to leave out the beer (had a bad night one time - or was it two) cause it can get ..interesting..:)

Mind you, some say it relaxes the eye, but the jury is still out with that one.

Didn't you get a Barlow or was that all that came with it? 2x Barlow would get you a little closer with the 28mm and still be ok, might be something to think about if not.

Have a bash at a few Messier when it's set up next and see if you can catch a few, or any comets that may appear and the moon! Can't forget that!

Glen / sorry for the derail. Comets right..

PS You can click on control panel top left to see replied subs bud.

:D good to hear you had first (blurry) light with the scope and got Saturn in the bag. I know what you mean with just plonk it down and look, Tend to do this myself for a quick peek at something, although try to leave out the beer (had a bad night one time - or was it two) cause it can get ..interesting..:)

Mind you, some say it relaxes the eye, but the jury is still out with that one.

Defo leaving the beer there, the eyepiece 2" to 1.5" adapter fell out and got a nice dent. Could have been worse, but still not going there again. My father is giving me his 10mm and I hope to get a Barlow for my birthday because yes, it only came with a 28mm which aint too great to be honest. May be ok to look at comets though :)

Archived