Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6" f5 suitcase dobsonian project

Moonshane

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

latest pics showing the Helical focuser in position. I had to file down one side of the provided washers to a flat as far as I dared as they touched the threads of the focuser - seems a silly mistake to me. you literally could not wind in the last 20mm of threads without this mod. another thing to note is that as this is made in Canada (so I noted on the box) the sctrews (and threaded holes in the base) are an oddball imperial size - possibly 3/16ths? (close to M4 anyway).

however, I am now happy I made this decision. It works well is very solid and just needed some slots cutting out from the 50mm hole to allow fitting.

the threads wind out a lot further than I expected too. the extended photo is with two full turns of thread inside the base. I'd not hang a 26mm Nagler off it but a plossl? there's also more ability to course focus with the 2-1.25" adapter and then fine focus with the threads.

also rough cut the insert for the UTA tonight and it's amazing how it's starting to look more and more like a scope, the more I do!

post-17776-133877779004_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877779009_thumb.jpg

post-17776-133877779014_thumb.jpg

That focuser dose look a lot better than they put on the Heritage dob. Using it almost felt the same as using the 3-6 zoom. The zoom you twist to focus on seeing conditions and the helical focuser to focus the EP. Has the weight benefitted much ? Have you noticed any slop at all ? Sure dose look good now Shane. :(

There is a little bit of slop up and down (not much) but this will not affect collimation of observing as the collimation and observing will both be done in the 'weight down' position where it is smoothest. I could remove the slop with grease but would not be happy with even white lithium near the optics.

I think the weight loss of nearly a pound at the top end will compensate for that.

First I coated the inside of both UTA rings with contact adhesive to give a good key. Then used carpet tape. It sticks it very well. I do have some tiny self tappers I could use if I'm unhappy at any point but it's holding very nicely at the mo.

as it's so hot today, I thought I'd have a labour unintensive day and make the truss pole bag and shroud. I practised with the sewing machine (not used it in a while) on repairing the sun loungers and making a new peg bag. It's not perfect but does the job well and most importantly does not intrude into the light path.

I have now made observing screens, tube caps, a peg bag, a truss tube bag and my truss shroud out of the amazingly versatile material that is garden weed matting!

post-17776-133877780288_thumb.jpg

Another busy day yesterday, prepping the wood for painting and actually painting the UTA which just needs the liner and then re-building with the secondary and focuser.

Also, managed to sort out most of the bearings with the alt formica glued on, the azimuth teflon bearings and formica sheet glued on.

Today, I'll glue on the alt teflon blocks to the rocker box, fit a handle to the outer box and then paint everything.

Then it's a couple of days waiting for the paint to harden off and then build up/use!

I'll upload more pics when the thing is built.

Oh goody more pics.:)

Is that sprayed or hand painted? Can't tell from my little screen.

What a cracking looking scope.

You've done yourself proud there Shane. Great job.:hello2:

Hopefully see it in the flesh if I get up anywhere near your way in the future.

Looking forward to reading your first light now.:p

Archived