Eq5 pro or Heq5 pro

I am about to purchase an explorer 200p, which will be mainly used for back garden observations of the night sky. In the future I would like to mount my DSLR and try a little ds photography. My question is, the DSLR body weighs in at exactly 500 grams so it will bring the total load with the OTA to the EQ5 maximum 18 kilos, so should I purchase the EQ5 pro or dig a little deeper and invest in the HEQ5 pro, or do you think that I might just get away with it. ??

George

I am about to purchase an explorer 200p, which will be mainly used for back garden observations of the night sky. In the future I would like to mount my DSLR and try a little ds photography. My question is, the DSLR body weighs in at exactly 500 grams so it will bring the total load with the OTA to the EQ5 maximum 18 kilos, so should I purchase the EQ5 pro or dig a little deeper and invest in the HEQ5 pro, or do you think that I might just get away with it. ??

George

I think you have got your numbers wrong somewhere. The EQ5 has a payload capacity of about 10kgs, the 200P weigjhs 8.75kg. The HEQ5 has a payload capacity of about 18kg. For lunar imaging with a DSLR you might get away with an EQ5 but for longer exposure photography (DSO imaging) you would be better getting the HEQ5.

Peter

if you can get the HEQ5 pro it will last you a long time with its capabilities you can get stuck in into some astrophotography i use to use this mount it was great the only thing i would mention is that a 200p a guide scope a dslr and guide camera is pushing BUT.... if you had a finder guider you will save a lot of weight and your mount will track better. they are truly amazing the stuff you can do with these mounts.

HEQ5 will last you longer, so if you can afford it go for that one it will have greater longevity and you will not have to fight with weight issues when you get into AP. Using a finder guider combination you will keep weight down. With your focal length, not sure if a finder guider is suitable but others using this setup can provide their experiences. I have no issues with finder guider at 765mm. It's seeing that I have issues with :-)

You can just about get away with an EQ5 but a HEQ5 would be better. Go for a finder guider even with the HEQ5. I've owned a HEQ5 and it is a very capable mount and I personally rate it over my NEQ6.

Thanks for your input everyone, I must admit I did have a sneaky feeling you would all go for the HEQ5. Now all I have to do is tell SWMBO of my new modified plan Hmmmm!

George

Archived