NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5x barlow

superjody

I think you will find 5x too much magnification, these are really for astro-photography, a well chosen ep would be better in my view.

oops,i forgot to say it was for astrophotography, il edit the post :)

I think you will find 5x too much magnification, these are really for astro-photography, a well chosen ep would be better in my view.

oops,i forgot to say it was for astrophotography, il edit the post :)

I got a 5X barlow which looks very similar to the one listed. The one I have is a Revelation Astro. I did try to use it on planetary imaging but the images produced came out very poor. I found mine better used for observing rather than imaging.

To be honest I think you would be better off using a 3x barlow + extension tube or save up for a 5x powermate. I've not seen many good images produced using a "budget" 5x barlow.

I did get some good results with a Antares 5x ive recently got a Antares 3x because i was so impressed with the 5x. so far im not sure (yet to be determined ) if the optics are as good, i think they may have been made in different places. the 5x might have been japan, not sure if you can still get them.

Other than that, like Stuart says, i would be careful with cheap 5x barlows. pushing the power does require good optics. The powermate is the best ive tried, i had a 3x televue barlow, i belive my ultima celestron was better though the 3x was also good. With tube extensions you could likely get the Celestron up to about 4x maybe ?

heres a Mars taken in 2007 with a toucam webcam and Antares 5x earlier in my astronomy days i think the mars was about 16 arcsecs possibly smaller

6910598022_e7df005800_o.png

The Revelation 2.5x barlow plus an extension might get you pretty close to 4x overall. I reckon it easily gives more magnification than my Tele Vue 3x.

I think a decent 5x barlow might well work in your scope though. You have plenty of aperture and you'd only be pushing the focal ratio to about f/23 which is hardly extreme for imaging. Experimentation with tracking might be required, but with an EQ6 that shouldn't present a problem. I think you'd really want to stick with decent quality optics to have a chance though.

James

Archived