Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece Selection For My Meade 10" Schmidt Newtonian

Greg

Being an f4...

Having the usual hotch potch of various makes of ep's in my box..It's time to take the plunge and invest in 3 or 4 quality ep's..

Any help and suggestions please...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the 8" model,still f4 but shorter at 812mm than the 10" so the EPs I use would produce higher magnification on yours. I like a wide field view and find a 40mm Super Plossl or a 2" 28mm Kellner provide good results even though they are not what you would call Quality eyepieces. I rather fancy the WO Uwan 28mm but at nearly £290 I have so far resisted temptation. :D Three or four in that range would be worth more than the scope.

CW

Well.. I don't have an SN (nor do I know what price range you're willing to go to) but my top eyepieces (in quality and price) which perform really well in my F/4.7 Newtonian are a 24mm Panoptic, 16mm Nagler T5, 15mm Panoptic and a 10mm Pentax XW. All of these give very sharp stars right to the last 2-3% of the field, all are wide field eyepieces (at least 68o).

All are very pricey too, even as second hand eyepieces. Just as soon as its clear again I hope to be able to properly test 21mm and 8mm Hyperions, from the brief look I got through the 8mm I was very impressed, sharp to the last 10% of the field. There's others on here who've gone through more eyepieces and know more than me but if you don't want to go to Naglers/Panoptics & Pentaxes then the Hyperion range has a very good rep in fast focal ratio scopes.

James

I currently have ...

Meade Series 4000 26mm

Meade Series 4000 15mm

Meade Series 3000 6.7mm

40mm Antares

17mm Antares

2" 32mm GSO/Moonfish

To me, that looks like a selection that will cover most if not all observing situations. I assume you also have use of a barlow or powermate and I must say I wonder if another 3 or 4 quality EPs would be of much benefit.

I have been able to arrange 'test drives' with my local 'astro' retailer, could you not try the same ?

CW

I picked up a 5mm TMb/Burgess Optical planetary EP second hand a while back and that is t'riffic in my f5 newt. Flat and crispy right to the edges (am I making this sound like a Pizza?).

Tony..

I picked up a 5mm TMb/Burgess Optical planetary EP second hand a while back and that is t'riffic in my f5 newt. Flat and crispy right to the edges (am I making this sound like a Pizza?).

Tony..

Very tasty :shock:......... but hold the anchovies. :D

CW

Funny thing about that EP was I bought it from the same guy who I sold my 10" dob to!

I helped move some stuff with my brother-in-law yesterday and so he treats us lot to Domino's for lunch. Nice! :D. Until I had to order his half (If anyone's not aquainted with Domino's, you can do a half n' half. work it out...), Anchovies, Tuna, Jalepeno Peppers, Onion and Sausage. Ugh. And he loved it! Freak!!

Not that I would eat an eyepiece but I'm guessing one would taste better than that thing my bro-in-law was eating yesterday...

Tony..

I can recommend the Hyperions....again!!! :lol:

.......And this weeks sales promotion award goes to................ :lol:

I know, I know...I should be on Baaders payroll :D When I start recommending them over orthos for planetary use is the time to start worrying....

.....but they are good for the money in fast scopes..... :p

I just need a nudge.. :D

Consider yourself nudged... :lol:

With Steves discount I got 4 Hyperions for under 300 pounds (they've gone up a fiver each since then I think) and havn't regretted it for a moment. The next significant step up performance wise would cost me ~300 per eyepiece.

I know, I know...I should be on Baaders payroll :D When I start recommending them over orthos for planetary use is the time to start worrying....

.....but they are good for the money in fast scopes..... :lol:

All vite! All vite! Der ist eine cheque in das poste alveady! (Pushie oder was!)

Herr Baader

Greg,

If I was buying for that scope and looking at sub £100 per eyepiece, I'd buy 4 pieces:

Meade 5000 26mm

Baader Hyperion 13mm

Burgess TMB Planetary 8mm

All are super wide field. The 26mm is a nice sweet spot in the 5000 range. The 13mm is the sweet spot in the Hyperion range. And the 8mm is a nice one from the BO/TMB range.

Add a top notch Apo barlow (orion Shorty Plus 2x for £52)....sorted for approx £250-270.

Russ

Archived