This stuffs a mine field with ever question answered it makes a new one, anyone got any tips for a reference books to help very very new people to some of the basics of scopes,eye pieces and other things that i don't even know yet?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The web, and forums like this, are the best place for advice on astro equipment choices in my view. By the time a book is published, the information in it on equipment choices will be out of date - things do change pretty quickly. Also you can be interactive which is not possible with a printed work.

That said, the book "Starware" by Phil Harrington makes a decent attempt to guide you though the choices.

Also the Sky At Night magazine publishes regular reviews which seem to be aimed are folks relatively new to the hobby.

For a good book on what to look at during the seasons, and how to find it, "Turn Left At Orion" is very good: Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope - and How to Find Them: Amazon.co.uk: Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis: Books

For a good general introduction to the science of astronomy, "Astronomy - A Self-Teaching Guide" - Astronomy: A Self-Teaching Guide Wiley Self-Teaching Guides: Amazon.co.uk: Dinah L. Moché: Books

These are my first two books and as a beginner I highly recommend them both.

Edit: Just read the initial post again and neither of these go in-depth into equipment choices, so slightly off-topic but worth checking out nonetheless :icon_salut:

Everything I ask I get an answer but some I dont understand and the ones I do just make another question, but I get what you mean.

See I dont even know what I can see with the scope and Ep's I have I know I can see the moon which is so cool.

What do people think about the scope I have?

don't worry we all start like this. you'll be able to see Jupiter, main bands and moons for a few weeks at least as it's past its best this year - will be back in Summer time. Saturn is rising now and you'll see the rings and main moon Titan. Venus is obvious in the east currently in the evening, like a mini half moon.

There are lots of brighter Messier objects (get a decent star map such as Sky & Telescope Pocket Atlas) and this will help - ensure your finder scope is aligned properly.

Hope this helps.

Everything I ask I get an answer but some I dont understand and the ones I do just make another question, but I get what you mean.

See I dont even know what I can see with the scope and Ep's I have I know I can see the moon which is so cool.

What do people think about the scope I have?

We have a Glossary and a list of abbreviations >>HERE<<

We are also resurrecting the Astropedia project, it was mothballed because of a lack of time. But I think it's time that it was added to again. Even if it's just me :icon_salut:

AstroPedia

These might help with some of the terms that your unsure of, if there are some missing - just ping me over a PM.

Cheers

Ant

We have a Glossary and a list of abbreviations >>HERE<<

We are also resurrecting the Astropedia project, it was mothballed because of a lack of time. But I think it's time that it was added to again. Even if it's just me :icon_salut:

AstroPedia

These might help with some of the terms that your unsure of, if there are some missing - just ping me over a PM.

Cheers

Ant

Sounds good

don't worry we all start like this. you'll be able to see Jupiter, main bands and moons for a few weeks at least as it's past its best this year - will be back in Summer time. Saturn is rising now and you'll see the rings and main moon Titan. Venus is obvious in the east currently in the evening, like a mini half moon.

There are lots of brighter Messier objects (get a decent star map such as Sky & Telescope Pocket Atlas) and this will help - ensure your finder scope is aligned properly.

Hope this helps.

I use google sky which is fairly good I think my main problem is by in a city with house's all around the back of my house so I can only see a very small bit of sky and ifaces the wrong way.

Moving house soon back south abit so hopefully will be able to get out in the sticks soon

A reflector gets you more aperture per £ or $, so for the same budget a reflector will be better for dim objects like galaxies and nebulae. But on the other hand, a refractor will need less attention on collimation and is better for planetary/lunar observation.

At least that's my basic understanding of it :icon_salut:

After reading many books and resources myself since last year, I can recommend two books:

1. Backyard Astronomers Guide. Tells you all you need to know and more on equipment choices and many techniques.

2. Turn Left at Orion as referred above. This answers exactly your question what can you see in a small scope. It has realistic drawings.

You can get TLAO first if you just want to find stuff on the sky.

Perry on mobile (so blame strange words on text prediction!)

This stuffs a mine field with ever question answered it makes a new one, anyone got any tips for a reference books to help very very new people to some of the basics of scopes,eye pieces and other things that i don't even know yet?

Hi#

The easiest source is sky at night for a newbie. Go to their web site and look at the reviews.

After that just google as much as you can -the info is there if you want it.

I found the forums particularly useful - users are really helpful and you get all points of view

happy hunting

Books are great. The only trouble with books are they only tell you so much. Read enough of them and they all start to say the same things.

But are still invaluable.

By asking questions,reading,researching on a place like this............you learn so much more than a book can or will ever teach you.

How many people come here? How long have they been into astronomy? Multiply one by the other and that adds up to a LOT of years experience.

"The only stupid question, is the one you dont ask".

I dont know who coined that phrase, but it is so true.

Paul

p.s.~~~TLAO is in my mind a must have for everyone. Even for people who have Go-To scopes, because it gives you a realistic view of what to expect to see.

Archived