NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible South Wales Group Star Party

Matthew

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havnt got a clue gaz :), I'Ve emailed them but they havnt replied yet.Theres a few sites within a 20 mile radius once I know if they can accommodate us I will do a evening reccy with the kids to see what sky conditions are like

Update..............Blackmountains can a accommodate us on those dates,but they can only provide 8 electric hook ups but im sure we can share if we decide to use the,.im still waiting on a response from a couple of other campsites but im hoping by monday it will all be sorted and we can start taking bookings :)

Not sure how this works - what do you generally do - telescope until too tired and then start drinking?, drinking during telescope time (making it even harder and colder observing) ?or drinking during the day then pot luck whether any observing is done at all?

Am I making it a bit obvious I'm new to all this?

If the forecast is bad ( 100% cloud cover no chance of observing ), plan b is to sit outside on a deck chair and get incredably drunk but at lucksall we had a few quiet ones in the afternoon ( it was very hot and that's my excuse ) and we had a couple while we was observing .

+ 1

But I don't mind others drinking my share. :)

Im not a massive drinker mike plus i wouldnt dream of getting merry while observing ( i woudnt want to drop a eyepiece :rolleyes: ),

Im going to the campsite sunday to have a look around and on monday i will need to know whos definately coming so i can place the booking.

Ok,i popped to the site today theres a good phone signal there gaz ( well on orange anyway ),its in a very secluded location so the light pollution sould be almost nill.It would provide a good place for a starparty if the skies are clear.The only thing is you have to use the mountain road past usk reservoir to get to the campsite so for caravans or motorhomes this may be tricky.Im going to have a look at 2 more this week,i dont want to rush because i want to make sure we pick the right site.

Archived