Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SH2-73 / LBN105-106: Integrated Flux in Hercules

Boren

Hi guys,

Here's one of 4-5 images existing of this region – filled with a molecular cloud lit by the Milky Way's integrated flux.

As noted under the image, this region was originally regarded mistakenly as an HII region, and accordingly included in the Sharpless catalogue of emission nebulae as SH2-73, probably due to the fact the brightest sections of the nebula show in the Palomar-Schmidt red plates. However, there's no HII region there… It is also known in other names, including LBN 105-106.

The nebula covers virtually the entire field and it is illuminated by the integral radiation field originating from the galaxy plane. These very faint reflection nebulae lie at a relatively high galactic latitude (about 45°) and are categorized as integral flux nebulae to indicate the particular source of illumination. Careful inspection of the high resolution image shows scores of background galaxies that appear conspicuously reddened by the foreground dust (ref. http://www.collectingphotons.com/News.htm).

Though the nebula doesn't show too much detail in any image, it seems that whatever's there comes out quite okay in this one.

It's my longest Powernewt exposure thus far (if I recall correctly), with 3:30 hours – only 5 min. more than my Seagull Nebula. At Bin 2 and F/2.8 for an 8" scope – this image gulped in much of the little number of photons this object generates :)

http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/142400400/original

I hope you like it, and any comments are, as always, very welcome!

Cheers,

Harel ;)

post-20443-133877757435_thumb.jpg

Stunning image!!! the detail is amazing and yes the reddened galazies are exquisite! it would be great to see a pic of the bottom right of this picture as there seems to be a fair amount of galazies in that region that seem to be fairly visable :icon_salut:)

Archived