I Spy With My Little Eye.....NOTHING :-)

Having now collimated my scope, I look forward to checking out the night sky. The planets are fairly easy and straight forward to find, and I have done so with success. What Id really like is to look at something different, ie Nebulas. But cant find any!

The only thing I have been able to find other than a planet is the Plaeides cluster. Its really interesting that with the naked eye you see 7 or 8 stars, then you point the scope and see tons. But this is causing me a problem when I try and find Nebula. Mainly because I have no idea where they are, even when looking at star maps. But the star maps tell you to look at a particular star and adjust as necessary. But when you look through the scope, suddenly that one star you were looking at turns into hundreds! Then I get lost.

So, does any body have any suggestions for what the easier and most impressive Nebulas are for a beginner to find. I know a goto could do all this for me, but not only have I not got one, I believe that its better to learn the sky first, them rely on technology.

Thanks peeps. :-)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its better to do the old way as you say- learn the sky- download stellarium- this is probably said too much, but its worth it- free and it gives real time location of the sky and dso's when you put your long. and lat. in

also what are you using to find them ie, what finder scope? i use a red dot one and rather like it, but there are others out there

id recommend the behive cluster m44.very obvious when you find it. also are you using averted vision? this is a must for people with smaller scopes and it really helps you to find the faint fuzzies

rich

I`m new myself but try stellium, free software will help, i`ve only had my scope for 3 weeks but m42 is easy to find, down and left a bit from orions belt, not sure what scope you have but i found it faily easy on first night with my skywatcher 250. start with a larger mm eye piece and scan the area, a nice view but donn`t expect to see it like some of the photo`s that are on here, they are long exposures with a camera, i can make out the a bit of colour but not that much.

Hi. Averted vision? What does that mean. My equipment is standard stuff straight from the box, ie no upgrades as yet. The finder scope seems to turn every thing back to front which can be confusing. I would like to upgrade but only if it makes things either easier or better for viewing. Got Stellarium. It is good, but then its knowing what I can find for real.

Turn left at Orion is great book that explains how to find fuzzies in very simple way

then as mentioned Stellarium ( you can set EP reticle on it ) that ll show you what you should see in certain EPs ( just look up any FOV calculator on internet ) put in you EP and scope you ll get FOV enter that value in stellarium circle ll apear that ll show you what you should see when you look thru that EP

GOTO upgrade makes all much easier ofc

Hi. Averted vision? What does that mean. My equipment is standard stuff straight from the box, ie no upgrades as yet. The finder scope seems to turn every thing back to front which can be confusing. I would like to upgrade but only if it makes things either easier or better for viewing. Got Stellarium. It is good, but then its knowing what I can find for real.

hi

averted vision basically means looking out of the corner of your eye, where it will see darker things clearer and brighter- it is an age old astro technique and being honest, if you have a small scope like me a must to learn..after a while it will come 2nd nature...it may sound bad saying 'yeah ive just bought a scope but i cant look through it properly' but youll get the hang of it

also i wouldnt upgrade till youve got the hang of your current set up and better scopes wont help much till you have some experience HOWEVER a bad scope is bad to learn on...what model exactly did you say you have?

Yes, the finder-scope can be confusing making everything upside down, but once its lined up properly, you will get used to it.

First focus your main scope on an object far away with a high mag eye piece (either in the day light, a TV aerial is good for this, or polaris at night as it doesn't move very much), then gently adjust the finder-scope to get the object in the cross hairs.

Using a SW200p. With regards to that, i noticed a few people on here list their scope under their name. Thats something else I cant suss out how to do! :-)

FOV calc sounds a good idea. I did use that once for fun on skyatnight. Never thought of using it to see what I should be able to see through my scope. Will definitely check that idea out.

I always thought averted vision was the upside down back to front from the view finder. Now I know it the way you view the eyepiece I shall try it.

Daedalus. As well as the above suggestions, it may be worth getting a cheap pair of binoculars if you don't already have some. That way you can familairise yourself with constellations and the required star hopping needed.

The other thing you need is patience. With practice, star hopping will become easier. I promise.

Ha ha, shoulda got goto. :-) Probably would make things easier.

But perhaps without goto I will learn the sky without all the mod cons.

Hopefully, a break in the clouds will allow for some Messier spotting, particularly the ones recommended. Didnt realise how cloudy the night sky got till i bought a scope!

the good thing is that at least with your scope when you find something it will look good, with a cheap goto you'd have been spending all the money on the mount ... it would find stuff but you'd probably get a pretty poor view

stick with it and good kuck

1) Learn the size of the field of view of your finderscope

2) Learn the size of the field of view of your low power so you can mentally project that circle & the finderscopes circle onto a star map.

3) Get used to what stars of different magnitudes look like in the eyepiece and finder.

4) On the map, note any patterns of stars such as triangles and their magnitudes that are on the map near the object you want to find.

5) Always start with the brightest star nearest the object and then move from star pattern to star pattern until you get to the objects position.

Shouda got Goto.

its is nice, but really not the best way to educate ones self in the field of astronomy....especially if you want to become well versed in it .and im pretty sure 95% on those with gotos will know the skies as well as their techy mounts

theres no replacement for good old fashioned learning

Goto and electronics have a part in astronomy - it's pretty essential for long exposure imaging which is a very time consuming process which wouldn't be posible without electronic tracking and guiding for the required level of accuracy.

Manual finding is equally valid and over a year or so developes a good understanding of the stars, how they move relative to Earth, and where all the interesting objects are to be found. You also learn how to look at them, what eyepiece and magnification to choose, how big they are, and with a little reading, all sorts of stuff about distance from us, and formation and purpose of the object.

You'll find over time you'll dabble in both areas and have lots of fun doing it - and what you learn manually will be very useful with goto ;)

As a conclusion to my post and a thank you for the advice herein, I managed to find M42 last night. (or was it M44) It was just below Orions belt. Took some sussing out and yes, it definitely didn't look like the pictures in the book :-) I did, however, taken some descent moon shots with my DSLR attached to the scope.

However, it was a start and one day, when I fully understand what im doing, I will happily purchase better equipment so that I can record my findings, as I believe that as Stargazing is an interesting past time; so is looking over the results of all your efforts. And I have found that even people who 'tease' you for looking at the night sky, suddenly become interested when they see your images or even better, look through the scope at the planets etc.

And if any body knows of a Messier catalogue where you can 'tick off' as you find them, that would be really helpful.

Thanks once again to this site and its members.

Messier Maps is a great map list.

three things made it easier for me to find things and made my observing life happier, more productive and less back/neck breaking:

1) red dot finder - you can buy these for maybe £20-40. on a dob, I prefer Telrads but the Baader Skysurfer 3 is OK too.

2) right angle correct image optical finder - means you look straight into the finder from the side and it's also the same way up as the map.

3) good star map - I mainly use Sky & Telescope Pocket Star Atlas.

You could buy all of the above for <£100 and they are all transferrable to future scopes so a lifetime investment. For me it made the difference between being able to find things and not.

Archived