Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 250PX Vs Revelation 10" Dob

Evening guys and girls (and a lovely clear one at that).

Been thinking of chopping in my 200P/EQ5 for a 10" Dob, particularly the SW 250PX (£429) or the Revelation standard (~£415) or deluxe (~£480) 10" Dobs.

The 250PX and standard Revelation seem pretty similarly spec'd (single speed Crayford, teflon bearing) but I do like the look of the deluxe Revelation, particularly the way you can shift the OTA for balancing. On top of that, it also has a 'proper' roller bearing in Azimuth and a dual speed Crayford.

I'm not particularly bothered about the supplied EP's, although I suspect the Revelation's will be better.

Anything I'm missing here? For a little more money, the deluxe Revelation seems to be the favourite at this time.

TIA

The Skywatcher has a Pyrex primary mirror. Pyrex retains it's figure more accurately as it cools I believe.

I've heard of quite a few Revelations that needed their mirrors re-aluminising rather early in their lives because of inferior overcoating.

That said, I'm sure there are many happy owners of both types.

Pyrex retains it's figure more accurately as it cools I believe.

Indeed

Plate glass reacts to temperature change three times more than Pyrex. But, Plate glass reaches thermal equilibrium three times faster than Pyrex.

So it kinda evens itself out.

Both make excellent mirrors. The figure of the mirror ultimately is more important than whether it's plate or Pyrex.:blob10:

Isn't the Revelation 10" dob also discontinued?

Telescope Express still has the SkyWatcher solid tube 10" as well as the GSO 10" which is the same as the Revelation.

John

Yeah, there are places that still have stock - so I've still got time. Was going to buy the 250PX from FLO, and they don't have any.

Sorry - the GSO is what I meant, and you're correct in that Telescope Express have stock.

i have a 300p solid tube fully flocked prostar,crayford dual speed 10/1 low profile focuser,astrozap dew shield, fan 500 quid cheap as chipsits in great working order also as bobs knobs on the secondary,and come with a cheshire sight tube to colaminate it bargain at 500 note

im also starting a saving fund for a 8",but more likely a 10" dob,although the skyliner seems to be discontinued. im wondering chaps, is there a reason other than cost alone, that these dobs dont have a handle on the ota ? would that make life abit easier ? or just maybe im talking from my rear end .

The Rev 12" has really excellent optics, so it's not unreasonable to assume the 10" should be to the same standard. The sliding trunnions and altitude bearings of the de luxe Revs are beautiful pieces of engineering, permitting balancing of the OTA (but not in situ) and giving a feather light alt. control. The lazy Susan does the same for azimuth, but benefits from added friction washers over the central bolt - hardly rocket science.

No criticism of Skywatcher, but the deluxe Revs are IMO a cut above.

now that is very nice .

@ spceboy, thanks,the thing is i feel portability would be abit cumbersome at 12" and price ! my misses would throw a fit.

i thought moving from 90mm to 200 or 250 would be dramatic , am i over optimistic ?

thanks...

If I may ? The difference between an 8" & 10" newt is very subtle and you may well regret not going for the larger 12" dob. Just my 2p

A fair point, and i'm not expecting much of a difference. My decision to change to a Dob is for practical reasons. Storage for my 200P/EQ5 combo was an issue. I have space for and can afford a 10" Dob, but the 12" will be too big for me.

I did briefly consider a 12" Flextube, but the base is something like 60 cm diameter which isn't really something you can hide behind a door.

Pity SkyWatcher doesn't do bases like the ones by Orion Optics UK. Nice and compact and made from thick CNC cut aluminium so infinitely more durable as well. The base on my 14" OO dob takes up about the same floor area as an 8" Skywatcher so it easily stores away in a corner.

Unfortunately OO dobs are more expensive than the mass produced ones by SkyWatcher and GSO, but then each one is built to order and you can select the grade of optics and which options you want etc.

John

Pity SkyWatcher doesn't do bases like the ones by Orion Optics UK. Nice and compact and made from thick CNC cut aluminium so infinitely more durable as well. The base on my 14" OO dob takes up about the same floor area as an 8" Skywatcher so it easily stores away in a corner.

Metal is expensive, while chip board is cheap. That's why SW built dob base out of chip board. Those metal thief don't steal random street furniture for no reason.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

Archived