Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Observatory build

mert

Hi Folks

After getting really fed up lugging the scope in and out from the house at all hours it's time for an observatory.

Starting a build next week (Sat) it will be a 10x6 shed with a run off roof, I have help from a mate who's a joiner, we expect to get it done in 3 days or so, another day perhaps to sort out an issues.

I'm going for a small warm room, 3.5 ft wide, enough for a pull down shelf, line it with polystyrene sheets for insulation, so finally I can have a go at astrophotography.

I ordered the wood required from a local builder for £50 inc delivery. The polystyrene from eBay £40, the shed was £319 inc a base, I have paving stones, quick drying cement, 12 100mm fixed castors £40 etc etc

I'll update nightly as the build goes. :blob10:

I would appreciate any input or tips.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good luck and at least the weather is warming up

Yes hope it stays like this

You going for a pier to mount the kit on?

No pier for now, maybe something I'll look into later.

• 2 weeks later...
How d'you plan to mount the scope? Are you going to put a hole in the floor for a pillar?

I'm making a pillar soon, so for now the scope will be mounted on its stand. I've used the scope in the observatory shell and there's plenty of room, once thing I had to do was make sure the base was solid.

I'm making a pillar soon, so for now the scope will be mounted on its stand. I've used the scope in the observatory shell and there's plenty of room, once thing I had to do was make sure the base was solid.

So are you going to sink the pillar into the ground beneath the floor?

As Gina has stated, wheels on the roof section are protected against the elements so have less chance of rusting / seizing. But a lot is down to personal preference, especially if you are trying to camouflage the structure to look like a "normal" shed

looking good mert - one thing I wondered about was the wheel system, some roll offs I see wheels down (attached to roof) and some like yours wheels up - is there any preferable setup or is it just down to personal preference ?

Hi

I have 6 wheels on either side, the roof always rests on 4 wheels at the same time, it's very smooth and glides along when pushed, you can do it with one hand, 4 inner bolts secure the roof, the roof has been reinforced inside so it's quite heavy, having the wheels up, was easier for me. :)

As Gina has stated, wheels on the roof section are protected against the elements so have less chance of rusting / seizing. But a lot is down to personal preference, especially if you are trying to camouflage the structure to look like a "normal" shed

The problem was the width of the wheel base, attaching them to the roof was too much work, for me anyway :) having them attached to the beam was easy and they are secure, I could also fine tune the height easily of each wheel so they are perfectly level on either side, the roof runs so smoothly.

I have a box of spare wheels incase the do rust, they are also greased up, 20 wheels cost me £62 in total.

My next job is the warm room, already been sealed and the polystyrene cut and put in place, I'm having a small perspex windows installed, this is a job for this weekend :)

Just a suggestion, I would brace the run off rails a little more, either diagonal at the ends or with a further upright midway along the rail. Like this

I have braced the ends, you may be able to see it in my last pics, no need for the middle brace as the supports are in concrete, they are solid. :)

Yeah, but from the last image the brace is at the bottom. To me it looks like the rails are attached to the side of the end support (presumably by a couple of screws or a bolt) - No diagonal bracing there

Archived