NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If you had £500 to spend....

Welrod50

Hello all,

a purely theoretical question and just for fun. If the Mrs reads this - I am quite happy with the scope I've already got dear so no, I'm not looking for another one!!

OK, so if you had £500 to spend and not one penny more - what would you buy and why??

Refractor, Newtonian, Dobsonian etc

I'm interested in what scopes are out there, what folks would choose and the reasons behind it.

Lets see who agrees, who disagrees and which instruments (if any) appear to be firm favourites.

Oh and one last bit, I imagine that some retailers will sell some scopes at a higher price than others, so to qualify, you must have seen the scope on a website sometime very recently.

Off we go.....:)

I'd get something suitable for packing up small and taking camping with the family as the 150 Newt is on the large side to pack! I don't know much about refractors so I'd have to do some research and find a great astronomy forum to ask some opinions :)

Hello all,

a purely theoretical question and just for fun. If the Mrs reads this - I am quite happy with the scope I've already got dear so no, I'm not looking for another one!!

OK, so if you had £500 to spend and not one penny more - what would you buy and why??

:

cases and cases of Chablis, Sauvignon Blanc and Caffreys before the damn Govt spoils all our fun :)

That aside - and it was someone else's money - 1 or 2 really good lens Naglers perhaps just to see whether there is actually "that much" difference.

I've just spent £429 on a 10" dob, so there's your answer! Because it takes two minutes to set up, it makes me find my own way around the sky, there are no electric to worry about, it gives great views, and it fits across the back seat of the car :blob10:

TAL100RS on an EQ5.

A compliment to my SW 200P dob. The TAL has a good reputation and I would use it to indulge my interest for lunar and planetary obs. The EQ5 as the biggest GEM the budget could afford, though if a tracking or goto mount was available secondhand I'd go for that instead. I'd like to see if I prefer the mount to do the work rather than manual nudging as I do with my dob.

Archived