Laser Pointers

What power of laser pointer of laser pointer would be required for pointing out stars. I would ideally want a good solid green beam. I know 1mW is the limit on buying from the uk, would this be powerful enough.

Also where would be a good place to buy from, amazon looks cheap, but reviews suggest they are not as reliable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was discussed recently here.

should you not want to read through the thread, the basic outcome is a GREEN laser of anything below 5mW will be more than enough for star pointing use, and for the record i have a 1mW unit and its fantastically bright (when its kept warm...they dont like the cold!)

I actually just order a 100mW.... I know over the top but they are fun!!
I bought a 50mw from gy3.co.uk.

great product and quick service.

RK

Thanks everyone.

I think a 10mW should do fine, though the 50mW is tempting.

[rant]

Guys/girls, really.... WHY!?! the legal UK limit is 1mW for personal use, and for very good reasons. Not only that, but you really don't need more than this for star pointing. Further still, although it may not seem it, all lasers are extremely dangerous, and the higher the mW rating you go above 1mW, the much more likely you are to destroying yours/someone else's vision by waving it about without just cause...

In fact, i'd go so far as to say that it is those of you who DO feel the need for stupidly powered lasers (i.e. 50mW and above) that give us CONSCIOUS and SENSIBLE low class 1mW & 5mW laser users a bad rep and it will be YOU that we will be blaming when all personal use lasers are banned/confiscated and their owners fined!

please, think about your actions/purchases before going down the route of the uninformed individual, else risk a prompt knock at the door from the local bobby's :) and a hefty fine, if nothing worse.

[/rant]

I've only got a 1mw green laser but its great - very bright and suitable for star pointing - the trick is as mentioned to keep them warm so keep them in your pocket all night probably. Must admit the gadget freak in me nearly took over when I saw the 50mw laser but then as c3po just said - why? I already have a good one to start and its another £20 into the astronomy super pit.

I really don't think anything more than 1-5mw is required to be honest

What power of laser pointer of laser pointer would be required for pointing out stars. I would ideally want a good solid green beam. I know 1mW is the limit on buying from the uk, would this be powerful enough.

Also where would be a good place to buy from, amazon looks cheap, but reviews suggest they are not as reliable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a 1Mw laser pen that I got on eBay for £4.80. It is powerful enough but you need to hold it and keep it warm in order for it to work well. They dont like the cold.

this was discussed recently here.

should you not want to read through the thread, the basic outcome is a GREEN laser of anything below 5mW will be more than enough for star pointing use, and for the record i have a 1mW unit and its fantastically bright (when its kept warm...they dont like the cold!)

I concur. As we have both been out together and used our pens at the same time.

I used my 1mw at -2 last week and it was spot on. I do keep it in my pocket and keep batteries out when not in use. I have used it a fair bit when I first got it (new toy, must play) and the original batteries are still going strong.

Be carefull if you hit it off a street sign tho as it turns a flat sign into a huge disco ball. (dont ask).

I don't see the need for anything more powerful as you point it at the sky, it goes that far that you can no longer see it, job done. It's not like your going to see a green dot on a distant star.

[rant]

Guys/girls, really.... WHY!?! the legal UK limit is 1mW for personal use, and for very good reasons. Not only that, but you really don't need more than this for star pointing. Further still, although it may not seem it, all lasers are extremely dangerous, and the higher the mW rating you go above 1mW, the much more likely you are to destroying yours/someone else's vision by waving it about without just cause...

In fact, i'd go so far as to say that it is those of you who DO feel the need for stupidly powered lasers (i.e. 50mW and above) that give us CONSCIOUS and SENSIBLE low class 1mW & 5mW laser users a bad rep and it will be YOU that we will be blaming when all personal use lasers are banned/confiscated and their owners fined!

please, think about your actions/purchases before going down the route of the uninformed individual, else risk a prompt knock at the door from the local bobby's :) and a hefty fine, if nothing worse.

[/rant]

+1 extremely dangerous and illegal for a

good reason. I hope to god those of you buying illegal high power ones have them locked in a tin. How would you feel if a child or adult accidently damaged there eyes with it.

• 2 months later...

+1 extremely dangerous and illegal for a

good reason. I hope to god those of you buying illegal high power ones have them locked in a tin. How would you feel if a child or adult accidently damaged there eyes with it.

Not accually illegal to use or own unless pointing at planes or cars then can get a £2500 fine and upto 5 years in jail (upto 7 if resulting in a car crash with fatalities) although it is illegal to sell to the general public pointers over 5mw in the uk (well not recommeded) if stated it was for astronomy then it could probably be sold legally but not sure.

i have a 1mw but find it runs down too quick as i have it stuck to my scope for alignment and could do with it being a bit brighter so i`ve just order a 200mw green laser from china (they acually sell a 2000mw one for £120) , obviously great care will be needed with 200mw as it can pop ballons at about 6m and light matches apparently so wouldn`t do a lot of good to your eyes, it only cost 17 quid

Donn`t think i`d ever get the 2000mw one as not sure what i`d do with it apart from lighting cigarretts and burning things, but the gadgit freak/scientist in me still kinda whats one.

i think the 2000mw one is a bit over the top for astronomy, think you may start taking satalites out.

Not accually illegal to use or own unless pointing at planes or cars then can get a £2500 fine and upto 5 years in jail (upto 7 if resulting in a car crash with fatalities) although it is illegal to sell to the general public pointers over 5mw in the uk (well not recommeded) if stated it was for astronomy then it could probably be sold legally but not sure.

i have a 1mw but find it runs down too quick as i have it stuck to my scope for alignment and could do with it being a bit brighter so i`ve just order a 200mw green laser from china (they acually sell a 2000mw one for £120) , obviously great care will be needed with 200mw as it can pop ballons at about 6m and light matches apparently so wouldn`t do a lot of good to your eyes, it only cost 17 quid

Donn`t think i`d ever get the 2000mw one as not sure what i`d do with it apart from lighting cigarretts and burning things, but the gadgit freak/scientist in me still kinda whats one.

i think the 2000mw one is a bit over the top for astronomy, think you may start taking satalites out.

I don't know about knocking satellites out, you could shoot down the moon!

Isn't it illegal (and obviously dangerous) to point a laser pointer into the sky, in case it blinds pilots of aeroplanes? I'm sure I've read somewhere in the press recently about people being sought out and prosecuted by the police for directing laser pointers into the sky & hitting planes....?

I see this has been discussed at length in other threads here ... e.g.

Archived