Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Luton Instruments scope for refurbishment???

WesB

Hello,

I have a question regarding a very old Luton Instruments 10 1/4" reflector telescope which I was given (it was going to the skip!!!!) The telescope looks fine its the open tube version with a good primary & secondary mirror. The scope comes with a german equatorial mount which to be fair is very heavy, very large and in need of a little tlc. The mount has the stepping motors attached along with some cable but that's it, no further electronics supplied. There is no tripod or post supplied therefore this would have to be fabricated. Is this worth salvaging and getting into action or would I be better selling the scope and mount and starting again? Is the scope worth anything? Is it sensible to save the scope and ditch the mount for something like a skywatcher reflector with a goto system, which we can get tripods and posts for! and a mounting plate because the scope comes with a cast mounting plate already attached! which is also far larger that those seen today. I have pondered this question for a couple of years now and I don't have the brain power to build this myself therefore I would need help especially for the electrical side. If anyone has any helpful words it would be most apreciated. ;)

The telescope was made by the former Astronomical Equipment Ltd in Luton. The optics will be of high quality and well worth preserving. If you feel that you would not be able to refurbish the scope yourself it might be worth offering it for sale to someone who can and put the proceeds towards one that's ready to go. ;)

Hello,

I have a question regarding a very old Luton Instruments 10 1/4" reflector telescope which I was given (it was going to the skip!!!!) The telescope looks fine its the open tube version with a good primary & secondary mirror. The scope comes with a german equatorial mount which to be fair is very heavy, very large and in need of a little tlc. The mount has the stepping motors attached along with some cable but that's it, no further electronics supplied. There is no tripod or post supplied therefore this would have to be fabricated. Is this worth salvaging and getting into action or would I be better selling the scope and mount and starting again? Is the scope worth anything? Is it sensible to save the scope and ditch the mount for something like a skywatcher reflector with a goto system, which we can get tripods and posts for! and a mounting plate because the scope comes with a cast mounting plate already attached! which is also far larger that those seen today. I have pondered this question for a couple of years now and I don't have the brain power to build this myself therefore I would need help especially for the electrical side. If anyone has any helpful words it would be most apreciated.

That looks like a decent piece of kit, as has been stated already, it all depends on the optics, if they are salvageable, then this looks like a good project for somebody with the inclination.

As far as electronics go, the obvious choice for stepper motors would be AWR, or if the motors were to be changed for dc motors, you could do what I'm doing and go for a Scitech system.

Just my opinion, but all the best with it.

Huw

Both mirrors are excellent, however the primary does have a 2mm ding in it which I am told will not hinder viewing. The stepper motors are attached along with wiring but that's where it ends. I am interested in rebuilding it however I would like to understand exactly what I am getting myself into prior. I don't have the knowledge to undertake this alone hence I am using a Skywatcher 100 ED with an EQ5 with goto which does eveything and is a great learing tube for the beginer such as myself.

Thanks again for the posts I will have to give this project some serious thought.......summers coming!

If your interested, I have an AWR system 5 controller and motors which I took off an old Beacon hill mount. Gear ratios are most likely wrong for yours.

It's tracking only, no go-to, but if you'd like them for playing drop me a pm.

Huw

That look almost identical to a scope that was donated to the Preston AS about 15 years ago. One of the members converted it to a dobsonian as i recall. I don't remember what happened to it after that unfortunately.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Archived