Coronado PST?

It is often cloudy at night and clear in the day here, so I think I've solved my problem, I was thinking of the smaller PST as something to do when I have a clear day... My question is what are the views like and is there some sort of danger even with special equipment?

Hi

I bought a PST for exactly the same reason as you, so far this year I've done more solar than night time viewing, but that's the UK for you!

I love it, the standards eyepiece is OK but better eyepieces give better views, I use Baader Orthos and they work well. It seems that eyepieces with fewer lenses and good coatings work well with the PST. Pictures are next on list to do with this little scope.

I asked the same question about safety and PST's a while ago on here, some guy (Merlin66?? + a couple of others) assured me they were totally safe. Always do the visual checks that Meade recommend but this is to make sure there are no cracked lenses or bits hanging off I think.

I say go for it, I find it very easy to use. by adjusting the focuser and the tuning ring you will see flares, sunspots, the granular surface etc.

Thanks

I have one for a few months now and it already gave me more views during that period than my other scope stuff.

Views are well, quite impressive, the top photo (ok, a stack of photos) on the following site shows slightly what you can expect to see (mind you, depending on conditions):

Astro Paul

The PST is rather sensitive to sky conditions, so if there's the slightest bit of haze in the sky, your views will be less impressive.

Safety? If you follow the standard precaution warnings and treat your equipment with care, there is no reason to be afraid.

Oh, a big advantage of this PST is you can take it literally everywhere. Grab it, take it to your kid's (or friend's kid) school, pop it on a tripod and have a blast with them going "oooh" and "aaah"!

Totally agree with the above post. I bought a PST after looking through one at PSP last year. I liked the idea of being able to observe during the day when, as you say, it often seems clearer than at night.

I use mine on an L bracket attached to a giro mount. It takes a few minutes to set up and I regularly use it. This weekend I managed a quick half hour on Sunday morning during a clear spell.

The scopes are totally safe, nothing to worry about there, and the views are amazing. There is always something different going on, and changes are detectable within a relatively short space of time. Using the tuning ring brings out the different features such as prominences, filaments, sunspots and the surface granulation. Some details are subtle and take time to see but there is always alot to see.

I can only say that if you are tempted then go for it, you won't regret it

Stu

I was sad to get rid of mine. I think some of it is eyesight dependent - A friend of mine, totally unfamiliar with astronomy, gasped: "Wow, look at those huge FLAMES around the edge" [of the sun]! Hmmm... ;)

I found the TS/HR (TMB clone) "planetary" eyepieces worked well for me. I use more magnification than the purists! <G> I would have liked to further explore Webcam (VIDEO) imaging. Maybe another time / day / life... ;)

I love mine, be warned though once you get one you'll notice how the daytime cloud massively increases. ;)

They are very safe and despite a recent ad on ABS are very well built. The views are addictive, like Stu said it tends to get a good work out.

Plus you can always mod it out if you want too.

I had one (actually a pair, one Ha and the other CaK) which I sold at the beginning of this year. Maybe it was me, but I found the views less than I had expected. I personally found there was so much fiddling around getting the image just right that I couldn't be bothered. That, I realise, will be a minority opinion.

My solar viewing is now done in white light with my 102SLT with a 50mm solar film mask (taped to the scope to make sure it will never fall off). Have you done any solar viewing in white light? If not, something similar on your XT4.5 might be a cheaper way of getting started.

The PST is a great safe introduction to solar observing.

The single stack bandwidth around 0.8 to 1A is ideal for the prominences and general surface features. Adding the second etalon filter reduces the bandwidth to around 0.5 -0.6A and greatly enhances the views of the surface granulation, filaments and magnetic surface streams around the sunspots.

I had one (actually a pair, one Ha and the other CaK) which I sold at the beginning of this year. Maybe it was me, but I found the views less than I had expected. I personally found there was so much fiddling around getting the image just right that I couldn't be bothered. That, I realise, will be a minority opinion.
Not necessarily? I felt that the Coronado's Etalon adjustment was rather "hit or miss"? Ultimately, that the (doubtless) "rewards" were a bit expensive relative to my budget. Overall too, that I needed to *understand* more about (H-alpha) phenomena, to get beyond the "pretty picture" thing. :)

At the moment, I'd LIKE to get more into "White Light" stuff. It seems that there may be non-Coronado (less expensive?) ways to get into CaK observations? I like the unconventional, a challenge... :)

What's the best way of fitting a PST to a EQ mount?

I'm guessing it'd be a dovetail bar adaptor plate but not sure....

Woking, I tend to think they are better on an alt-az mount because of the fixed position of the eye piece. I would think on an EQ the ep would end up in awkward positions.

I was tempted to get a cheap, powered alt-az mount which would track the sun. This might still be a good idea but in the end I just bought an L bracket for my Giro II mount which is very stable and easy to use.

On the subject of the double stacked version, I was told (on the forum) that the surface detail was better but that prominences were dimmer with the 0.5 A version which is one of the thing I enjoy most so I got the standard version. You can buy the extra stack as an add on I believe but it is nearly twice the price of the scope alone!

Stu

Thanks Ian - found it, Deluxe Vixen Style Photo Dovetail and 1/4 inch Camera Screw - £19.99

I'm looking to get a skytee2 so this should fit as it says it will fit EQ5. I've got a eq3-2 at the moment and think it should fit this too.

Stu, would the L bracket be piggybacking the main scope? I was looking at these and probably being very stupid could'nt work out how I'd fit an L bracket let alone the angle it'd put the PST at.

The PST I've acquired cheaply second-hand suffers from the 'rusting', it's covered the lens. But I've read it's still safe and visually ok to use, however I'm not sure whether to send off for repair or reconditioning. Someone mentioned on here that Telescope House will do something for around £120 but not sure what they do and whether they'd replace the rusted lens on a second-hand model without the warranties etc.

Don't want to risk my eyes so will prob give TH a call....

Thanks Ian - found it, Deluxe Vixen Style Photo Dovetail and 1/4 inch Camera Screw - £19.99

I'm looking to get a skytee2 so this should fit as it says it will fit EQ5. I've got a eq3-2 at the moment and think it should fit this too.

That's the badger!

The dovetail is standard Vixen/Syntra. For sure fits the EQ5, the NEQ6 and Skytee2 saddles as I mounted it on all mine.

The dovetail is exactly the right length for the PST, fits snug with the base of the main block.

Cheers

Ian

Archived