Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing/detecting M31

manofscience

Just awaiting delivery on a Skywatcher 127 GOTO - Bought obviously for mainly lunar/ planet observing. I know some of the brighter Messier objects are fine through this sort of scope but

Can anyone give me an idea of what I can expect from something like M31?

Will it just be more of a fuzzy blob or can I expect something more defined? Im not expecting hubble but Im really curious....I really want to move onto observing (and imaging) galaxies when knowledge and funding can necessitate....

Call me inpatient, but Ive been told to expect at least 3 weeks for delivery!

with my 90mm refractor under town l/p conditions, it resembles a cloud like appearance in colour and texture, but easily seen even under full moon conditions. the darker the sky the more expansive it would appear.

not the greatest viewing many would say. but id imagine globular clusters would be exellent.

all the messiers would be viewable with that scope, many would be faint fuzzies, but all doable.

you might find this thread helpful

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-deep-sky/170408-messier-objects-90mak.html

also if you can grab a copy of "turn left at orion" it gives realistic perspectives of objects through small telescopes.

Agreed. You'll only see the core of M31, but you'll certainly be able to see it. You might struggle now though as it's only about 25 degrees above the horizon at sunset.

You should be able to pick up the two Messier satellite galaxies too, but because you'll only see the core of M31 they're much further out than you first expect.

James

Agreed. You'll only see the core of M31, but you'll certainly be able to see it. You might struggle now though as it's only about 25 degrees above the horizon at sunset.

You should be able to pick up the two Messier satellite galaxies too, but because you'll only see the core of M31 they're much further out than you first expect.

James

That's a very good point about the two satellite galaxies, when I viewed M31 last Sept/Oct I was really surprised how far away they were. Did get a good bright view of the centre of M31 though.

It's a great scope but I think you'll struggle with Andromeda. It's a huge object, over 3° if I remember correctly and your scope is more designed for higher magnification, smaller objects as I'm sure you know.

You'll get the core ok, just as a fuzzy oval shape but you won't get the others in the same field of view as they are surprisingly far away. You'll be able to see them ok if conditions are right but will have to pan from M31.

M31 is one of those objects that doesn't look much better even in very large scopes, you just see a bigger fuzzy blob and more of the overall size. Lots if other galaxies to find though, M81 and M82 for starters which should look good

Stu

That's a very good point about the two satellite galaxies, when I viewed M31 last Sept/Oct I was really surprised how far away they were. Did get a good bright view of the centre of M31 though.

under a dark sky m31's dust lanes fill a 32mm EP and the two satellite Galaxy's are nearly lost

The big thing I remember with observing M31 was that really the core was only obviously visible. It took a while to see the dust lanes and it was quite surprising just how far from the core they were. M31 is huge and the normal technique of comparing the background contrast to detect the galaxy is messed up because the background of the galaxy fills the FOV entirely so making it very difficult to realise you're looking at it.:)

Personally, unless you are under really dark skies, I find Andromeda amazing to see, but underwhelming to observe. To explain..... It's always amazing to look at something 2.5 million light years away, and actually see it, but it's difficult to get much detail with it. Some of the other, smaller, galaxies show more shape and some detail so are more rewarding.

Globular clusters will be good in your scope, they are some of my favourite objects, plus things like M57, small but interesting to observe.

Enjoy

Stu

Archived