Facebook links?

Clear skies are hard to find & would cost a fortune to buy... :) Steering your friends here will further encourage them & will learn alot whilst waiting for better skies... wow you manage to volunteer at some fantastic events lucky you!!! I would wish to do that...

The weather is not looking good for the SGL7 event either..... :)

No reason why you couldnt. What kind of work are you in?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love em or Hate em... Texting..facebook..& twitter seem to be a better way of getting like-minded peeps out & observing...rather than keeping ya fingers crossed that the 3rd friday each month might be clear.

Love em or Hate em... Texting..facebook..& twitter seem to be a better way of getting like-minded peeps out & observing...rather than keeping ya fingers crossed that the 3rd friday each month might be clear.

I believe birdwatchers use these tools extensively to keep each other updated on the latest "spots" on their patch.

They play a completely different role to a forum like this though.

I'm a facebook user and do repost my images there for my non-astro friends to see, but as above I think it serves a different purpose to SGL. I wouldn't use facebook to discuss astronomy because the number of my friends who could contribute to the discussion is so limited. What is needed for that sort of thing is a larger collection of people with a more focused interest...like SGL. I can't see that FB offers anything extra and could potentially divert useful and interesting discussion away from SGL.

I have lots of friends on Facebook. I have no idea who most of them are ;)

Most of my friends I know in real life from school or who I have formally worked with. My current co workers I havent added. A fair chunk of my friends are from the WRAC - the Army corps I joined 20 yrs ago. We all talk most days and we meet up, so I kinda know them. And the rest are from my Marillion family. So there isnt anyone I dont actually talk with, or I havent a reason for them being there. There used to be a few years ago when I played the games - you HAD to have 'sisters', 'neighbours', 'mob people' etc etc and so it forced you into adding hundreds of poeple you dont know or you couldnt really level up in the games. But I cba with the games for about 2 yrs now so I binned about 400 people and stopped playing them.

LOL... ive missed so much on this thread!!!!! just catching up... great Skywatcher pic Tim... I have a new profile on facebook in last 2 wks & only added people I actually talk to or know... & try to get my astronomical views or odd picture over to my buds... though they didn't really go for my Venus & Jupiter conjunction picture hahaha... but sure will wow them with a bit of astrophotography soon as I know how via my phone & scope a total beginners way!!! :blob10:

Facebook is for social networking surely? SGL is a niche forum dedicated to the learning and promotion of astronomy. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would want such a bizarre link. But then it's just my opinion :blob10:

Because away from here on facebook you can put Astronomy as an interest which presents you with other people into Astronomy in your local area and any groups. Such a thing would lead people not here to here via facebook.

But why would anyone in their right mind want that?

Facebook has it uses, and I only have friends I have personally met on it.

Use it as a tool, and a source of info, and keep in contact with those you 'know' just as well get use to it, as its a part of your kids daily life, now you wouldnt want to miss-out on that!

Archived