Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi To All, wonder if anyone has had any luck with the Comet - went out last night with my binos (10x50). Looking at the finder charts found Kappa Drac easily - looking to the next visible star to the right was the place mentioned on the charts - NOTHING - think its the light pollution - supposed to be around mag 6 - thought I may have seen it, yes, I know its really light polluted where I live (West Mids), but I thought there may be a hint of extended coma or the like - must keep trying.

Have any of you guys and gals had any luck from light polluted skies.

Cheers Paul.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies and comments, think I'll have to try again and hope the skies in a little better condition, its dooable from my location I think, Moons going to be out of the way so I'll keep up the observations when the sky clears (not).

Thanks again and clear skies to all. Cheers Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the comet this evening in 10x50s, not a great night as a bit hazy, but within 5 deg. of alpha ursa major and close to a fairly bright pattern of stars, just an extended smudge - it was high overhead which helps a great deal with seeing conditions - led on garden bench to get a stable view without having to creek my neck!

andrew

I found it last night with my 15x70s. I have to say that I really didn't struggle finding it. It took me easily less than a minute first time (having looked it up in Stellarium earlier and working from memory) and when I went to have a second look at it later in the evening probably less than ten seconds.

It's my first ever comet however, so it could have looked utterly unimpressive and I'd still have been pleased :blob10:

James

• 2 weeks later...

Here it was on March 27th ( Click on the "View in World Wide Telescope" under the 'astrometry.net' link below ):-

Comet Garradd | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7035595461_e69951043b_b_d.jpg

This video shows how much it moved in just 10 minutes! Click on boxes as they appear for more info:-

I wonder what that little moving dot was in the bottom right of the video?

Archived