Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Centaurus A

E_ri_k

Hey Guys. After about 6 weeks of cloud I managed to get imaging again. Been trying to work on my focus, clarity and detail.

14x100 second subs

3x5 minute subs (would have taken more, but it clouded over....)

The only thing that bugs me a little is that it looks a little "grainy" when viewed at 100% Not that I'm complaining, I'm really happy with it, but are there any photoshop tricks to preserve detail, but soften the noise?

Thanks.

post-27504-133877746561_thumb.jpg

Very nice Erik, the detail looks great so you must have nailed the focus!

More subs would help the noise, but have you tried the PS noise reduction? It's not great but has its uses. If you're content with 1024 pixel dimensions, try the free version of the NeatImage plugin.

darks would get rid of most of the noise and what a great image you have there! well done

At the risk of sounding like an annoyingly broken record... darks get rid of the dark current, not the random read noise, which they actually add to.

This point is actually the main reason I decided to start writing a "common pitfalls thread" here.

Nice tutorial. I have a lot to learn in photoshop! I have got the hang of a few things, but there are many more tools I'm not sure how to use yet.

Yes - download the lot of them.

You will get a shock when you see how much better your photos will look

with a bit of practice.

Archived