Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Resizing Raw Files?

Hi Guys,

I've a small problem I hope one of you can help me with.

I'm working on my first real imaging project - the Orion Nebula, and its all going quite well (apart from the cloudy nights we've had these past few nights). The problem I have is when I'm stacking the images in DSS I always end up with the message "Out of Memory". So I went out and brought more memory for the laptop (went from 3Gb to 6Gb), and tried again last night. Same thing happened.

Whilst I know I can use my Cannon DSLR software to reduce the size of the image as a batch of files, it also seems to force you to save as JPGs which obviously I dont want.

Can anyone recommend a different piece of software to resize the RAW files? I dont have PS, but I downloaded GIMP for the image processing.

Cheers guys

Craig

press SHIFT+CNTL+ESCAPE to get up the task manager, list the programs by memory size.. if there's something there hogging memory that you don't need then close it before stacking.

Your right, I remember ticking drizzle x2 on the last session I did just to check what the option did. Thanks guys, I'll give it a go and I'm sure the resulting image will show up on here shortly :)

Odd

when I've played dizzle games in IRIS I get no problems what so ever.. I think it must save things to disk far more.

I've also doubled the dimentions of 8Mpixel images (32Mpix resized images) and been able to stack those.

Derek

You can use the drizzle, but for an SLR image at least, you need to define the ROI before processing. Click on a single light frame in the file list, click the red box on the lower right of the image preview, and draw the box on the image to define the ROI. When you do this, it'll work. Drizzle x2, uses 4 times the memory of a normal stack, and drizzle x3 uses 9x.

Daft question Gina but have you altered any of the settings once DSS has finished stacking?
Yes, I improved things a bit that way but I believe the main problem is poor subs to start with. I'm hunting out my problems and have a strategy for improving things.

Basically two main problems with those subs - poor focus and bad tracking. I have tightened up my Crayford focuser so I'll see if that improves focussing - I believe the draw tube slipped as I was taking the subs. Secondly, I've been boning up on drift alignment for improving my PA.

When funds permit I intend buying a SteelTrack focuser because even having tightened the Crayford there is still a bad bit where I've been continually refocussing with my DSLR hung on the end. I'm also looking into guiding but not finding any stars with my webcam setup so planning to buy a QHY5 guide camera.

Archived