Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount Hub.

JAS

This project started out as a DIY dew controller, but after reading YesYes’s power and data box post , and a few others it went on to become allot bigger and a lot more work.

Apart from a LX mod on my webcam this was my first attempt at any kind of electronics.

I have been working on this on and off for about 4 months now and finally have it finished. :)

DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1199.jpg

It contains all of the parts I could think of, 12v supply, 5v supply, 8v supply for DSLR, laptop power supply, USB hub, Dew controller, fan speed controller for tube fan, focus controller & Serial input via usb hub.

I made this to run from the mains only as I will only use it from home.

DSC_1144.jpg

DSC_1145.jpg

I made the box from 2mm aluminium at work.

DSC_1107.jpg

DSC_1108.jpg

DSC_1109.jpg

And then started work inside.

I made the PWM due controller by following the instructions on this page

http://www.simcoeskies.com/dew/no_can_dew.html

The 12v and 5v PSU's were both from Ebay, as was the usb hub that I hacked up to fit into the box. I removed the plug that connects to the PC and soldered a chassis mount usb on, I also removed two of the usb inputs and soldered a printer type usb lead on one for the focus controller and soldered the serial to usb lead to the other.

DSCF1121.jpg

DSCF1122.jpg

I then made up fuse boards for the 12v and 5v outputs, you can't be too careful!

I used some old 12v car relays I had in the shed to switch them on or off.

DSC_1096.jpg

I also had a fan speed controller for my PC, like this one NEW Zalman Fanmate 2 Variable Fan Speed Controller | eBay

So I opened it up and removed the pot and soldered on a chassis mount one in its place.

Next up was the focus controller from Dion at Astronomy Shed, I am very happy with bit of kit, it works a treat. I removed the board from it's box and mounted it inside, all connections are plugged rather than soldered so I could remove it and put it back into its original box if required.

Once I had everything in position, I took it all back out and sent the box off for powder coating.

I also made the front plate from aluminium to hold all the switches and plugs and had a plastic cover engraved from silver faced black plastic to fit on top.

DSC_1118.jpg

DSCF1118.jpg

Next up was the small task of wiring it all up, this took a lot longer than I expected!

DSCF1126.jpg

DSCF1127.jpg

So there it is all finished, I have used it and I am very happy with the results.

I have found that the laptop has frosted or dewed up quite a bit in use. I am thinking about making some sort of cover to fit onto the box and sit the laptop in. What is everone else doing?

Jason.

Cheers Jason.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the compliments, I would dread to think of how many hours I have put into it.

Michael, the case was tig welded for me, then I cleaned the welds off with an angle grinder using sanding pads.

I think there must be a problem with the forum, none of the bids have any zero's after them:D.

Cheers

Jason.

Great job, looks fantastic.

I've just bought the same box Chris used and the same power supply so going to follow his design. I am very jealous of your case though :)

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments, I would dread to think of how many hours I have put into it.

I think there must be a problem with the forum, none of the bids have any zero's after them:D.

Cheers

Jason.

You are correct Jason, my bid should read £10-00p.

Did a bit of alloy bending and bolting for various valved amplifiers aeons ago. Your metalwork looks much better than anything I bodged.

LOL, Wrinkly/ Michael, I set myself up for that response!

I am also still bringing out bags of cables Jessun, I am in the process of making up a loom that wil be permanently fixed to the pier at one end and the other end will be stored in a weather proof box. This way I can attach the tube to the pier and plug the cables in. Then open the box up and attach the cables to the hub.

I will post pics as I go, it might make sense then!

Jason.

Thanks, the front panel took a while to lay out properly, allowing for everything to fit in behind. I did think about having fuses at the front, but there are to many! I havent had any blow yet, so I eather have the ratings correct or to high. Time will tell;-).

Jason.

Sent from my xperia Arc using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, that looks fantastic. How could I have missed this thread?

Really nice work with the enclosure. Looks really professional. I wish I could do something like that. I can do the electronics bits no problem but then I always fail to make a decent case for it.

Thanks, it took a while but was well worth it.

Your box is not that bad yesyes, it inspired this one. I wouldn't have gone to so much trouble if I couldn't have made it for free at work, I would have done exactly what you did.:thumbup:

Jason.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

I'm quite happy with my box. But other projects don't have proper cases. My biggest problem is making non-round holes....

Good to know that someone likes my projects. That's what makes it worth the effort posting about them. ;-)

Yours is awesome too, YesYes.

I've just ordered a bunch of parts and a plastic box to make a power tank and your two projects have inspired me to add USB power (charging only and data hub separately) and maybe dew heater control too!

All the best,

Mike

Mike,

I am glad I added the due control, it keeps things tidy and less parts lying around.

I had to cut things short last night because the guide scope was dueing up. I have made heaters for everything apart from the guide scope!

Another job for the weekend:)

Jason.

• 4 years later...

Hi Jas - fantastic hub. Busy building mine and have included an arduino temp, humidity & dew-point indicator using 16x2 LCD.

In regards to the fuses, can you advise where to put them - e.g. I have 3 x dew heater controllers & also 3 x 12v outputs. I also have a mount power output.

Do I put the fuses between the 12v supply & the switch, after the switch or between (for the dew controllers) between the dew controller & dew tape?

You advice greatly appreciated - thanks.

I think I put the fuses after the switch for the 12v outlets, but I only have one switch for all of them. I don't recall putting a fuse on each dew heater outlet I believe I just had a fuse on the 12v feed to the circuit board for the heaters.

I have not opened the hub up since I added the dew heaters, I don't recall exactly what I did, it was a long time ago!!!

Jason

Beautifully done and executed Jason.

But short of a professional shop, fairly unreachable by most here, don't you think?

I know Pro when I see it, and you are pro.

Very well done! Are you really going to need all of those attributes?

Beautiful work! Do enjoy!

Thank you SonnyE, I have been using this setup permanently in my obsy and I do find that I use everything available, there have been occasions where I could have used more 12v outlets!

I am not sure I agree with your comment about being unreachable by most people, apart from the box itself there are many examples on here of every day people making similar things. I manage a sheet metal company and work in CAD, I have no previous experience with electronics, but my interests inspire me to look out of my comfort zone and learn how to do these things. There are plenty of answers on the net and plenty of people on here who are happy to help you if you get stuck.

Thanks again for the complements, it is nice to have you efforts appreciated.

Jason.

Archived