Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would I be disappointed with a 150 Newtonian reflector?

Just a quick one guys.

Storage at my place is quite limited so i'm looking for a reasonable scope that I can expand with.

Would I be disappointed with a 150 reflector bring in mind that in the future I want to piggyback an 80ED for AP?

Hi Jon,

You should not have any issues with a 150P. Will let you see lots, especially deep sky stuff as it is F5. Not so good on the planets, but with a decent barlow - not to be sniffed at. As you mention AP it is good as it is relatively fast being F5.

Uplooker

I would call the 6" f5 reflector, the workhorse of the amateur astronomer, beginners plus.

It's a super starting instrument, and will hold your interests until that disease called aperture fever infects you, and it will eventually.

Resist the temptation to go large, until you've savoured all the pleasure the 6" f5 will afford you :).

Seriously though, they are a great telescope.

Ron.

Would you want to piggyback the ED80 for AP? I wouldn't. The presence of the big scope on the mount will give it more weight and inertia to cope with and will attract unwanted attention from the wind. I'd take the Newt off the mount for a night of AP and use a small guidescope for the ED80. I'm sure that would work better.

Olly

I have a Criterion RV6, this fantastic scope out performs my 8" SCT on the planets a lot of the time, the 8 has great optics but my skys are bad.

There is a complete 6" with GEM on Cloudy nights now for $50.00!

it needs cleaned up but would be a good starter scope cheap!

Another scope that is fantastic is the 130 Nexstar that has G0TO

they are cheap.

Just to add my twopenth.

I used to have a Helios 150mm F5 reflector, nearly identical to the Skywatcher. It was my first semi-serious scope, mounted on a manual EQ3-2 mount. Once collimated properly it was a great general purpose instrument for both fuzzies and planetary viewing, it could easily split the Casini division on Saturn and resolve the redspot on Jupiter. I never had much luck with Mars though the big

red one is quite a task depending on seeing conditions.

The quality of construction of the Skywatchers these days are a big improvement over the Helios that I had and I'm sure you won't be

dissappointed.

Regards

Nidge

Otley, West Yorkshire

• 10 months later...

I took a while to buy my scope was going to buy a 130p then a 102 mak or a 127 but decided to get the 150p and ive not been disappointed ive seen 4 bands on Jupiter plus the red spot and four moons Saturn with rings and the Cassini division with a couple of moons some great Galaxy`s and many other objects i couldn't be happier.

Archived