Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 - First go

split_city

The full moon has given me some needed time to process some of my data. Next up in the processing timeline was M42. I collected this data about a month ago but the processing scared me given the large dynamic range of the object. Here's my first attempt at processing.

Details

Scope: 8" Newt

Mount: EQ6

Camera: Unmodded Canon 400D

Exposures: 12x300secs @ ISO800, 10x120secs @ ISO800, 10x30secs @ ISO800 and 10x10secs @ ISO800 plus darks and flats.

Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop CS3

Still a long way to go but pleased with my first attempt. More than happy for anyone to provide any further processing advice or to have a go on the data yourself.

Very fine indeed.

When you said you just gave all the sub lengths to DSS I though the Trapezium would be burned out, but it isn't. Far from it, the dynamic range is covered very well. Usually I follow Jerry Lodigruss on combining different sub lengths. I'm not sure you need to change what you've done here but out of interest this is the tutorial;Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

You really are getting crisp resuts. I'm well and truly impressed and looking forward to more.

Olly

The main trouble I've been having is actually finding M42. I can't get CdC to take the mount/scope to the right place in the sky - it always seems to be a little bit out, not near enough to get the object in the field of view. My next attempt will be with DSLR plus camera lens rather than the scope. Then I should be able to get it in view and "zoom" in on it. Just need the stars to be visible at night :D

That is a wonderful resultant image :D:(:):hello2:

That really is a lovely image :)

I presume it's cropped? .. unless you used a barlow of some sort?

I'd love to be able to get images like that, but all I get is double stars and slight trails between them due to the mount I'm using.

Wow. I have very similar kit to you, and just got my lovely new NEQ6, and cannot wait to start attempting things like this!

From my lack of experience perspective, that is an amazing shot!:)

Thanks. Good luck when you start imaging. It can be really frustrating at times but rewards make it all worth while.

Great result!

Cheers :(

Very fine indeed.

When you said you just gave all the sub lengths to DSS I though the Trapezium would be burned out, but it isn't. Far from it, the dynamic range is covered very well. Usually I follow Jerry Lodigruss on combining different sub lengths. I'm not sure you need to change what you've done here but out of interest this is the tutorial;Compositing 2 Different Exposures via Layer Masks

You really are getting crisp resuts. I'm well and truly impressed and looking forward to more.

Olly

Nah Olly, I also had to go down the path of layer masking (such as the link you provided) to get the detail of the core to come out. It was a hard process and after getting some advice, I need to work on it more e.g. you can see the transition between the blending and the core actually needs to be brighter.

Out of curiosity, has anyone simply stacked all subs of varying lengths into DSS? How does it turn out?

The main trouble I've been having is actually finding M42. I can't get CdC to take the mount/scope to the right place in the sky - it always seems to be a little bit out, not near enough to get the object in the field of view. My next attempt will be with DSLR plus camera lens rather than the scope. Then I should be able to get it in view and "zoom" in on it. Just need the stars to be visible at night :D

That is a wonderful resultant image :(:):hello2::D

Thanks. My mount doesn't have GoTo. It can via software but the controller is not the original and the third party software doesn't work. I have to manually search for objects. The settings circles work OK but not the most accurate. M42 is an easy visual target though.

Very impressive and for a first go wow!

Much appreciated.

That really is a lovely image :icon_salut:

I presume it's cropped? .. unless you used a barlow of some sort?

I'd love to be able to get images like that, but all I get is double stars and slight trails between them due to the mount I'm using.

It's slightly cropped to the right of the image, just to centre the nebula. I'm imaging with an 8" newt so it's not wide field.

What mount do you have? What scope? Be persistent. I spent months trying to sort out guiding errors in DEC. Long story short, I have given up guiding in DEC and just need to accurately polar align (using EQAlign) to the point where I see no drift in about ten minutes (my longest subs).

Thanks again all. I'm sure a repro is required with particular focus on blending the core better.

Archived