Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP + EP kits

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor I'm afraid - 2 Kellner eyepieces and a Huygens type. The barlow lens looks very average but is described as the "jewel" of the kit which is more of a comment on the other components I feel.

Better to get a single decent eyepiece, possibly a used one, rather than those. One of the eyepieces (the Huygens) is actually worse than those supplied as standard with scopes.

They look a bit like Kellner EP's..............pretty rubbish. Avoid them.

If you are dead set on buying a kit then the Revelation Photographic EP kit is considered about the best:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/revelation-photo-visual-eyepiece-kit.html

Defo do not buy the Bresser kit you linked to. You have an 8" scope...............it deserves better (even a 3" scope deserves better).

A better choice would be 2 or 3 quality EP's such as Vixen NPL,BST etc. And if you want a barlow then a TAL 2x or 3x.

The cost would be about the same but the quality would be 10 fold (if not more).

Not wishing to be over critical,but reading that short ad. there were three silly spelling mistakes in it re:Barral,Starage,Acessory,we all make mistakes on this site but this is a professional company,it doesn't give me much confidence in dealing with them if they can't get their ad right before publishing:confused:

I've heard these are pretty decent (and they are pretty cheap, at £30).

First Light Optics - Vixen NPL eyepieces

http://skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html (BST explorer)

And these should do good too (They are more expensive though, so if the budget allows it sometime they should do good).

First Light Optics - Celestron X-Cel LX eyepiece

First Light Optics - Vixen NLV Eyepieces

Remember that you have a fast scope (f/6), and it's not as forgiving with bad eyepieces as a slower scope.

Hey astro, guess it's all down to budget but for same scope as you have I've ordered BST explorer 12mm, vixen npl 30mm and Tal x2 Barlow - each is around £40 and that selection gives 4 well spaced magnifications with quality views, or so I'm assured (they'd better!). If budget is an issue then just sell more stuff on eBay :)

....my god, so many options!

Too right ! - choosing eyepieces is more complex than choosing scopes in some ways :)

Having a tight budget can actually help though. As long as it's not too tight !.

thats true that is. At the moment I think I can spend £40 off my monthly wage once in a while, so I deffo will improve my collection. However I will have to look around and add as many bookmarks as possible and then sort them out best quality for decent price.

...........If budget is an issue then just sell more stuff on eBay :)

lol thanks for the tip, unfortunately I run out of my possessions haha. But I might bump onto something again to sell.

Money is an issue but oh well, I did choose an expensive hobby

lol thanks for the tip, unfortunately I run out of my possessions haha. But I might bump onto something again to sell.

Money is an issue but oh well, I did choose an expensive hobby

An expensive hobby that CAN be done on a budget.

Once you are happy with what you have and can see....................that REALLY is all that counts.

Thje main thing is to enjoy the hobby................at any price/cost.

There really is no right and wrong in astronomy........................

A 3" scope can give its owner amazing views just as a 20" can do.

On the same subject, I've watched the SkopesNSkies video about eyepieces and he suggests that the cheap kellners are still very good for planetary viewing - Is this the case?

Thinking of getting a 6mm to get me some bigger views of Saturn and Jupiter but from the comments on here it looks like they're pretty poor?

Instead of a kit - you can't go wrong with a Baader 8-24mm zoom as a good general purpose starter eyepiece. And it'll work great in your scope. It's like 5 pieces in 1 and a far superior quality to supplied eyepieces.

You can also attach a dslr to it with the right connector ring. Very flexible and useful item to have in any collection - I still use mine regularly to this day :)

you can't go wrong with a Baader 8-24mm zoom as a good general purpose starter eyepiece. And it'll work great in your scope. It's like 5 pieces in 1 and a far superior quality to supplied eyepieces.

You can also attach a dslr to it with the right connector ring. Very flexible and useful item to have in any collection

oh that is rather attractive reply, Ill look into that one, thanks!

Wait a few months and invest in the Hyperion zoom 8 - 24mm, its fabulous. I found it very hard to justify spending almost as much on one zoom EP as the scope, BUT as I intend to stay in the hobby a long time the EP will stay long after the scope has been upgraded. I figured that buying something that will stay with me in the hobby is better than several upgrades to eventually get what I wanted. The Hyperion really shows what the Dob is capable of.

Wait a few months and invest in the Hyperion zoom 8 - 24mm, its fabulous. I found it very hard to justify spending almost as much on one zoom EP as the scope, BUT as I intend to stay in the hobby a long time the EP will stay long after the scope has been upgraded. I figured that buying something that will stay with me in the hobby is better than several upgrades to eventually get what I wanted. The Hyperion really shows what the Dob is capable of.

The Hyperion zoom is very popular but the field of view at 24mm is 50 degrees. For less than half the price a 32mm Panaview gives 70 degrees for much better widefield views. For a quarter of the price a £30 32mm plossl gives 52 degrees and is a good budget option.

Archived