SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good by Bahtinov hello the Lord mask amen!

Quatermass

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'll make a Y mask for my ED80 and see how it compares with the proper Bahtinov mask I bought from FLO.

I've made both a 'Y' and a Bahtinov for my ED80 and I have to say the Bahtinov makes a nicer pattern to work with.

Having said that, the 'Y' was a lot easier to make.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

• 2 months later...

I've made both a 'Y' and a Bahtinov for my ED80 and I have to say the Bahtinov makes a nicer pattern to work with.

Having said that, the 'Y' was a lot easier to make.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

the y is easy but a full bahtinov is I think better now having made both however when i got caught out that night last year the y shaped twig saved my session and got me my prized shot of the lagoon and trifid. try both and remember the twig if you get stuck ;)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

I think the reason a full Bahtinov is better is due to the fact hat there are multiple edges for diffraction. These line up on the diffraction image, and are therefore amplified, making the spikes more visible.

One thing that people do is say about he amount of light that a Bahtinov cuts out, so how can the spikes be brighter? The light cut only results in the central star being dimmer, and since its not the central star your worried about during the focussing process, but the spikes, this doesn't matter. The multiple edges cause the spikes to be amplified.

That's how I understand it anyway - correct me if I'm wrong!

Adam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived