Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image with my new evostar ed80 M42

Quatermass

So excited its been a great day, I got my new evostar ed80 refractor and merciful heavens the clouds parted this evening and dispite a full moon I was able to have quick go at m42.

I love this new telescope can't wait till we get a moonless dark night again but after testing it out on M42 I enjoyed looking at Mr Blobby and Mr Mars.:D:D

Pictures of new scope here..

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/179410-new-evostar-ed80-imaging-scope-arrives.html

M42%2520first%2520with%2520ed80.jpg

Bit rough given that it was taken during a full moon but Orion will soon be waving bye byes so had to make the most of it.:headbang:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheers sam yes it was a quick edit before calling it a night. Once the moon has gone I know I can get a much cleaner image from the new ed80. Really just wanted to get an idea of how much more would fit in my field of view compared to my old 200p. It was great to be able to fit it all in to the frame so easily. Cant wait to start imaging M31 again. :D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Thank you Zul and Olly many happy imaging days ahead plus I dont get back ach carting the 200p back and forth. The evostar ed80 is so lovely and light and suits my eq5mount perfectly.

Ideal for getting in the car with and finding a really dark site with.:D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Wow thats great for data for a full moon! I just picked up a equinox ed80 and wasn't going to go out b/c of the moon tonight but your image is making me rethink not going out.

What were your exposure setting? If you don't mind me asking.

Wow thats great for data for a full moon! I just picked up a equinox ed80 and wasn't going to go out b/c of the moon tonight but your image is making me rethink not going out.

What were your exposure setting? If you don't mind me asking.

Thank you,I took 60 30second subs ISO 800 and 30 darks flats and bias offsets for this one, stacked in deep sky stacker and finished in photoshop, tutorial on my blog and full review of the telescope there as well.

QM:)

Hi QM I think you definitely made the right choice in going for the evostar ed80. this scope punches way above its weight. I would recommend getting the SW-0.85X reducer/flattener to bring your FL down to 6.37. then as catanonia above says it as serious potential.

You're going to have a lot of fun with that little scope :)

There are just a couple of things you might want to change on it once you get more demanding. Firstly, you might want to speed up/flatten it a bit with the dedicated FF/FR. Secondly, I used to find that the focus would shift a little when you lock it. That was solved by tightening up the hex bolts on the underside of the focuser... oh, while youre there - check the screws that attatch the focuser to the OTA, one of mine was a little loose.

The 9x50 finder you get with it makes a cracking finderguider too :hello2: so its a win - win situation. Cooldown time is appoximately 30min, but you can image straight off the bat. It just means that after your first three 10min subs, you need to go back to it and check your focus with the Bmask.

I predict plenty of fun ahead for you QM:), I agree about getting a reducer, it will make it wider, flatter, and faster, then you'll have a wide field scope with the ED80 and a smller object scope with the 200p, all you need for DSO! well this is what I plan to do:D

I predict plenty of fun ahead for you QM:), I agree about getting a reducer, it will make it wider, flatter, and faster, then you'll have a wide field scope with the ED80 and a smller object scope with the 200p, all you need for DSO! well this is what I plan to do:D

Plenty of fun being head at the moment, the weather has been rubbish and have not been able to get a set of decent subs due to the moon and clouds but had a go at Rosette and Horse head the last two nights conditions were dire though so kept them small to improve them a bit. No where near showing what this scope is able to achieve but fun all the same.. Got the horse head the wrong way round tonight only 18 30second subs with thin cloud kaking up the subs but just wanted to have try again. The rosette was possible the most heavy processed image I have ever had to do but Sundays looking like being nice and clear so hopefully get some better subs to work with Rosette was only 24 one minute subs again bright full moon and clouds to contend with but it was a good exercise of my processing arm.

HHed80.JPG

Roseed80.JPG

Hi QM I think you definitely made the right choice in going for the evostar ed80. this scope punches way above its weight. I would recommend getting the SW-0.85X reducer/flattener to bring your FL down to 6.37. then as catanonia above says it as serious potential.

skywatcher_focal_reducer.jpg

This one yes? so this should make the scope faster but my field of view will be the same, never used one before bit pricey at 165.00 are they worth it??:)

It will increase your field of view as well as speed up the scope.

Have a look at Field of view Calculator<script src="title2.js"></script> to get an idea what it would do to your field of view. Select your scope and camera then in the 'barlow' bit, select other, then type 0.85 in the bottom box and click submit. Then select a big object from the list to have a look at how big it would look in your image.

Archived