SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First image with my new evostar ed80 M42

Quatermass

Hi QM

Good choice getting the reducer flattener for imaging. dont worry about the diagonal lenses, you would never use them for AP. dont forget you will need the SW M48 ring adapter £15 from flo. if you want to see what this scope can do take a look at Uranium235 images!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are one or two things I need to get sorted out before a flattener/reducer reaches the top of the "to buy" list but I do have it in mind. I think the next major item for the ED80 scope needs to be a SteelTrack focuser. Focus before flatness I think! :)

This was the focuser that came with mine is it like yours?

2012-03-08%252014.09.41.jpg

They have the reputation of slipping with heavy camera gear and filter wheels etc. hanging off the back end when you are imaging near the zenith. With just your DSLR I would hope you are fine.

ah yes same one. must admit I am missing the defraction spikes on my 200p and the pictures seemed clearer and sharper its hard to get used to a new telescope after working with the 200p for 2 years will the focal reducer improve things much I wonder?

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Lovely scope and great images - well done QM! :hello2:

must admit I am missing the defraction spikes

Personally - I prefer images without spikes - I mean, almost everyone is trying to remove every other telescope artifact / distortion - vignetting, comma, CA etc.- so what's different with spikes??:)

You can always add them with software if you really want to. :D

Cheers Steve I guess the spikes kind of add a bit of sparkle to subjects like the seven sisters I also noticed when imaging the horse head that the star near to it was very much brighter and harder to process. Im thinking the addition of the focal reducer will also help. Round stars seem odd to me having got used to spiky ones on every image but I guess they will grow on me as I get used to this new telescope.

Well done QM! You must be over the moon with your new scope. I'm so jealous! It's going to be a while for me before a get a beauty like that cos I got the Stellavue F50 yesterday. I managed to get focus with the barlow 2X and the webcam pointing to a building about 200m away. Hopefully I can get focus and start guiding the next clear night.

So excited its been a great day, I got my new evostar ed80 refractor and merciful heavens the clouds parted this evening and dispite a full moon I was able to have quick go at m42.

I love this new telescope can't wait till we get a moonless dark night again but after testing it out on M42 I enjoyed looking at Mr Blobby and Mr Mars.:):D

Pictures of new scope here..

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/179410-new-evostar-ed80-imaging-scope-arrives.html

Bit rough given that it was taken during a full moon but Orion will soon be waving bye byes so had to make the most of it.:)

WhAT WOULD BE THE EQUIVALENT FOR THE "Sky-Watcher Evostar ED 80" ON THE CELESTRON LINE OF SCOPES? Sorry, I am not shouting.

And, will it fot directly on a CG-4, no adapters?

Hi Walky

As this is an imaging section of the forum best stay on topic but the celestron website should answer that question or post again in the equipment section for some help on the celestron telescopes as I dont know much about them :)

Archived