Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST explorer EP's on Ebay

pel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1.25" 7mm 58 Degree TMB Planetary II

If this was bought from ebay from a UK supplier, then I think it will be a copy, rather than an authorised TMB Optical ® eyepiece like those from Astronomics or High Point Scientific. So far as I can tell, there are no other suppliers of authorised TMB Planetary II eyepieces.

Both US suppliers will ship to the UK, but Astronomics are most cost effective. The eyepieces cost $49.95 each (about £32, but there is an extra 5% off for those with a Cloudy Nights account), but with $20 to $30 postage, VAT at 20% and import charges of £8, the likely cost will be about £65 for one or, more cost effectively, about £100 for two.

I've got it. The declaration was $25 value, that's £16.20-ish. I think the minimum is £17.

So no duty or fees.

Strictly illegal for them to do that of course, but as you have no idea of knowing what value they've put on it's not a real problem for you. In the extremely ,extremely unlikely event that customs didn't believe the value they would write to you asking for supporting documentation.

BTW not many US dealers will do that now.

John

In the extremely ,extremely unlikely event that customs didn't believe the value they would write to you asking for supporting documentation.

Just to add a word of comfort, I have six kids and one of their aunts lives in New York, so there are half a dozen birthday pressies and a large Christmas box every year, frequently wrapped and shipped by the suppliers rather than my sister-in-law. They have never had a declared value in excess of £20 or an actual value of under $50-$60 each (ca. $300 at Christmas) and not one has ever been stopped by Customs. I don't think that they try very hard for what would only be a tenner or so in duty

I have ordered from the US a few times and have always had to pay customs charges. However the value of goods generally does not include postage and packing costs, which I understand it should. Other than than items not being in stock when the web site says it is (so not so very different from the UK!) and the delay in things arriving, I have found the process to very easy and unproblematic.

Hi Jason , you've nearly got all of the BST's ?

I think so as long as there are only 6 ?

The postman delivered 3 today, the only one I don't have is the 15mm but that will have to wait until pay day

I think so as long as there are only 6 ?

The postman delivered 3 today, the only one I don't have is the 15mm but that will have to wait until pay day

They'll look good all lined up in a case.

okay, ive only read the title and not gone through the whole thread. but incase it was missed, the bst explorers sold by skies unlimited on ebay,is the same as skies the limit. so yes they are pukka. dont worry on that score.

looks like a price hike is working its way in though,the new stock are £47.

It was eleven days. The postmark was the purchase date.

Thanks James,

Looks like I shouldn't be waiting too much longer, although I have been told that it can take up to several weeks to get USPS shipments over here and delivered.... :)

Jim

Archived