Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BST explorer EP's on Ebay

pel

Hi guys ,

Do you think these are actual legitimate BST explorer eye pieces on Ebay ? -

1.25" 8mm BST Explorer Dual ED eyepiece Branded "Starguider" | eBay

Would these be the favourite choice of members at around the £50 price point?

I've just bought a SW 200p/eq5 and will probably need to upgrade the supplied EP's. I was thinking of a 6mm,10 and 25.

I've already got a Tal 3x barlow and a SPC9000NC for my Planetary imaging.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan at Skies the Limit is the original importer of the BST Explorers so if he says that they're the same there's no reason to doubt him.

BTW Alan's a top bloke to deal with and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses to that effect.

John

Thanks John, that's very useful, thanks.

What Ep's do you use? Are you using very high-end ones?

In the "medium quality" range I have been using the Celestron X-Cel LXs. I've compared them to the BSTs, and while the BSTs are excellent and nearly as good opticlly, the LXs just have the edge due to better coatings and quality control.

The BSTs are still a Best Buy though at that price. And yes I do use higher end eyepieces as well. :D

John

post-14522-133877743604_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike.

Thanks John, I was looking a the X-CEL LX's too. Yes those eyepieces in the photo look a bit high-end/expensive :-)

Edit- just noticed they're the X-cel ones. What's the EP in the middle of the picture ?

Edit - I think I'll try an X-cel-lx and an Explorer and see which I prefer.

That's what I did. Compared the BSTs and LXs and found I just liked the LXs a bit better even though they were more money.

I wouldn't mind more of the Ethos eyepieces of course but as mentioned £££££ :D . Maybe this Christmas it might be time for another one if I can stash away a few quid by then.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_3.7mm_Ethos_Eyepiece_1.25___2.0_.html

John

Oh yes, very expensive and yes I'll see what I like I guess, thanks.

Good luck getting one for christmas :-)

I've only just sold all of my expensive Hi-Fi, looks like I've just replaced it with an equally expensive hobby. At least my telescope won't be in the living room being scratched and scraped.

In the "medium quality" range I have been using the Celestron X-Cel LXs. I've compared them to the BSTs, and while the BSTs are excellent and nearly as good opticlly, the LXs just have the edge due to better coatings and quality control.

The BSTs are still a Best Buy though at that price. And yes I do use higher end eyepieces as well. :D

John

There's a Chappy in the US doing X-Cell LX's for £50 including postage, not maybe the difference in price swings it that way?

That's an option. Depends if I get charged by Custom's or not I guess.

Will a 5mm be too much magnification on my 200p or am I better going for the 7mm?

I'm not sure what 2 magnifications to go for. Neither company seems to do a 6mm and a 10mm.

Edit - what magnifications have you guys found you use the most? I want to see the easier Messier objects (m42, m81 etc.) to start with at a good size.

That's an option. Depends if I get charged by Custom's or not I guess.

Will a 5mm be too much magnification on my 200p or am I better going for the 7mm?

I'm not sure what 2 magnifications to go for. Neither company seems to do a 6mm and a 10mm.

Edit - what magnifications have you guys found you use the most? I want to see the easy Messier objects (m42, m81 etc.) to start with at a good size.

The answer is not. The customs value the seller put down was $25.

Celestron X-Cel LX 7 mm Telescope Eyepiece New Design FREE USA/CANADA SHIPPING | eBay

There's currently only one up just now, though.

Hi Pel.

You will get to use a 5mm EP in your 200P. The scope should take it. But some nights the sky won't take that (200x) magnification.

There is no good answer to which eyepiece. The longer FL will be usable on more nights. But there will be times when you will want that bit more magnification. I built up a collection slowly to give choices.

Last month I was looking at Mars with my 200P and surprised myself by getting a good view with a 3.5mm EP. A Hyperion as it happens.

I think it would work out to about £68.00 then when the tax and handling fee are added.

Let us know what the final total is when you've got your hands on the 25mm.

John

I've got it. The declaration was $25 value, that's £16.20-ish. I think the minimum is £17.

So no duty or fees.

it's a huge fat credit card shaped lens in the centre. Anything with Green Writing comes with a big price tag, it's a TeleVue and your looking at £500 + of the finest glass.

Sir! Sir! Mine have green writing on!

:D

post-23533-133877743629_thumb.jpg

James

Archived