Eye patch

I would like to try an eye patch to help dark adapt my viewing eye and to cover the opposite eye when viewing.

I bought what was advertised as a "medical eye patch" from ebay but it came with a picture of a pirate on it and it is next to useless. :roll eyes: maybe I have a odd shaped head.

Where can I buy a good eye patch ? surely people unfortunate enough to lose an eye don't have to use fancy dress pirate eye patches , but that is all I seem to be able to find online.

I looked around for an eyepatch and could only find cheap plastic white ones at the chemist. In the end My wife made me one by sewing a piece of card inside two pieces of black material and attaching some elastic. It took a bit of trial and error to get the shape right (started by tracing the outline of my glasses lens) but it worked out well in the end. I find it quite handy to view with both eyes open (one covered by the patch, obviously) so as not to strain my eyelid muscles winking.

LOL, did you see the review on there:

"Whilst the overall quality is acceptable I have found that wearing two makes vision difficult - I have removed a star for each eye impaired.

I fell over when wearing them (there was no safety information detailing this flaw)"

Unbelievable!! :D

Just spat a mouthful of tea everywhere reading your line about the less fortunate one eyed ones among us having to wear a pirate eye patch! Sorry if this offends anyone just made me chuckle :D

Try very.co.uk

My knowledge of eyepatches is limited at best but the ones on this site look fine.....i think?

Got mine from boots. It's a nice fit, fairly firm and cupped. It is quite small and just about sits in your eye socket, but is curved outward and doesn't rub on your eyelashes etc.

They keep them behind the counter so you have to ask for them. Think it cost £1.50 or so.

• 7 months later...

"Whilst the overall quality is acceptable I have found that wearing two makes vision difficult - I have removed a star for each eye impaired.

I fell over when wearing them (there was no safety information detailing this flaw)"

Unbelievable!! :lol:

lmao. :grin: , classic!

Been using a patch since I started stargazing with a telescope and have gone through quite a few designs trying to find the best. From experience, it isn't just a case of "cutting a bit of black cloth and attaching some line to it".

One needs the eye patch to not only cover the eye, but in such a manner that not a single trace of outside light can enter. It also helps that the eye is cushioned and cupped within the eye patch, so that it is not forced shut with the elastic line or band and that there is no stress around the eye. For this reason avoid all plastic eye-patches.

In the end, to get the best possible result I ended up making my own. Essentially it's a piece of molded card (wettened it to get the cup just right for my eye-socket area and then left to dry) which was covered by a soft silky material. Then I cut out one of those eye covers folk use for sleeping (brought mine for about a €). These are excellent because they're foamed which adds for comfort and as can be seen I sowed this over my molded eye patch. The result is a super-soft, thickly padded pirate's patch.

eyepatch.jpg

I bought one from Boots, 99p and it serves well, I no longer have to skwint one eye shut when observing (on those rare occasions that it is clear enough to actually be at the EP) and I slide it over if I need to pop inside or use 'the BIG light' to find something that a red light doesn't reveal.

Unbelievable!! :lol:

Reminds me of a story my friend told me – he hires out camper vans.

A customer phoned to say he’d crashed the camper van he’d just hired, he told my friend he’d put it on cruiser control and left it in auto to go in the back to make a cup of tea.

He complained that he wasn’t told he couldn't do such a thing.

Thanks for this thread. For some stupid reason I habitualy use my left eye even though it has worse vision ( all sorts of reasons / natures & even with glasses) than my right. Ordered a patch so that I can use as descibed to force myself to use the right.

Archived