NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars Feb 29th f40 Auto Dob & DFK

Space Cowboy

Nicely done Stuart ;)

Neither here nor there but the FR calcs come out at f31.7 based on the image being 1.5x and the size of Mars being 13.9" arc

Lovely detail and nice clouds ;)

Hope you have a nice rest:icon_salut:

Thanks guys yes it was nice to have clear sky at last, first for 3 weeks. Not sure about best in UK Neil but certainly my best. Here is another at a touch more fl (thanks Rob I did wonder if it was less than f40 looks like the pwermate responds less to an extension than normal barlows).

This was taken at 10.57pm when I pulled the dfk out a little more so guessing this is f33ish? More detail in this one.

150% scale stacked in AS!2 and Reg 6 wavelets 1500 from 10000

space-cowboy-albums-mars-picture15942-22-57.png

Packed up at 11.15 when I ran out of disk space by which time seeing was less good and the secondary had misted over.

I havent seen mr Ps hence saying best in the uk ive seen on here, nearly full size hope the weather changes soon, havent had a chance in days. Hope the weather doesnt throw a wobbler around the 14 arcsec size. I thought the size was overestimated. if you get a chance try higher, Mars is bright enough if you get the seeing, once again great results

Thanks Peter, Darryl and HD!

Will be a while yet before Mr Peach has anything to worry about from me Neil ;) That other Mr P. has done a pretty tasty RGB Mars too...bit more natural looking than mine and Peter's shots too......I guess its the DMK RGB combo giving more vibrant colour or maybe my processing is not quite right.

I think that about my own stuff, in such cases often the images are lacking contrast and luminence, its something ive mentioned a lot to you about on jupiter, possibly experiment there, not saying it will work but it might. Your talking about the fine things though, the data is good for sure, you got to be happy about that, just experiment with processing i know you will

Ok, I've been studying Damian's Mars images on his website (none from this year yet) and decided that I've way over cooked the wavelets on these.

Here is the same image as above but this time stacked in Reg 6 (5000 stack) using 2x drizzle then some deconvolution and Gamma reduction plus white level increase in Image Analyser. Its less sharp but I like this far more :

space-cowboy-albums-mars-picture15962-dfk0038-12-02-29-22-57-59-castr-reg6-drizzle-5000st.png

Thats not just wavelets thats improved it, the light balance looks much better, much more vibrant, The original looked washed out in comparison to this, even though lots of wavelets were used on them.

the slight extra red looks better too.

Much prefer this, the resize has held well too. should keep this as a reminder about washed out balance, and to avoid that approach. you often fall back into it. But hey i do too, and i may have been doing it longer, so its easy done. Looks to me like the redo has started to show a slight twirl on the white cloud, way cool. I prefer this, wonder what others think.

Cheers Jon!

Thanks Neil, Mars is a new experience for me this being only my 2nd proper imaging session apart from when i first started out webcam imaging 2 years ago and its taking me a while to get the processing right but think i've cracked it lol

Archived