M42 - Once seen, never forgotten.

SwampStar

As soon as it became clear that the clouds weren't about tonight, I headed outside for only the third time with my SkyWatcher.

Started with the moon through a 25mm and then a 10mm. The sliver of light at the bottom gave stunning definition of the craters.

I then moved on to Venus, and eventually Jupiter. Both were bright and crystal clear. Moons again clearly visible.

I'd given myself a challenge, though and that was to spot my first Messier object. I put my 25mm wide back in and lined up with the cluster below his belt. I had it almost bang in the middle of the view...and it was absolutely stunning! Even with the thousands of other stars cramming the eyepiece, the wispy white shading of the nebula was jumping out.

Once seen...never forgotten.

I even went back out again later to see if it was still there...:D

It's brilliant ain't it :)

I saw my best view of it a couple of days ago, even with my 60mm refracter i've seen the brightest part of the nubula near the trapezium, but with how clear it was on thursday i got to see more then i've ever seen before.

Try ngc 884/869 double cluster in Perseus. I got to see this for the first time on thursday too. I did rough alignment with an 18mm as usual then told it to goto the double cluster. I do vauge alignments so i still have to do some work finding it myself :D hehe. Anyway.... when i finally found it i actually swore out loud...It was amazing.

Also, as mentioned above, the Pleiades is a great single cluster to view. It was my first :(

Plenty more good things to see, my first Messiers were M36,37 and 38 in Auriga. These open clusters are near to each other and all different in view.

For a treat try M13 in Hercules, now early morning, the very best globular cluster, nice, clear skies, Nick.

Thanks for those.

I didn't see myself turning into some sort of train-spotter type but I suppose lists are there for a reason, and I can't wait to tick off some more!

Also been looking at the Caldwell list...:)

So should I do the Messiers, the Caldwells or both???:p

I think I know what I'll end up doing already...

Hehe, funny you should say that. I decided to try andromeda seeing as it was so clear the other night, unfortunately it's right above a streetlight. I managed to see a very faint grey blob which i can only guess was the centre.... It amused me slightly heh.. but i was happy enough i'd found it.

I guess i need to go back to the moors again to see that one :p

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

I am looking forward to my view of M42 or indeed any other Messier object. My 200P with HEQ5 comes today (I am frantically looking out of the windows for FedEX because my doorbell doesn't work). Good luck with all your other views

I've been trying to spot the Andromeda galaxy without much luck. I think it's a bit too close to the orange glow that is Bristol's light pollution at the moment. ;)

I'm going to have that problem too Pappy although my back garden in Kingswood faces away from the City. Except I do have an annoying streetlight that shines into the garden!

Also been looking at the Caldwell list...;)

So should I do the Messiers, the Caldwells or both???;)

I think I know what I'll end up doing already...

Nothing wrong with starting on both. Generally the Caldwells are not quite as easy as the Messiers but that's not to say that they are particularly difficult (the Hyades is one of the Caldwells).

Happy hunting! (whatever you choose)

Just seen M42 the other day, also my first Messier object and was amazed.

Set my goal was to find M31 tonight and after a half hour finally did. only a gray oval tho, but still, it was a great challenge and another off the list.

My first Messier object was M45 and I would certainly recommend taking a look - seriously impressive. Then tonight I got a look at the double cluster in Perseus and lost track of time gazing at it.

As soon as it became clear that the clouds weren't about tonight, I headed outside for only the third time with my SkyWatcher.

Started with the moon through a 25mm and then a 10mm. The sliver of light at the bottom gave stunning definition of the craters.

I then moved on to Venus, and eventually Jupiter. Both were bright and crystal clear. Moons again clearly visible.

I'd given myself a challenge, though and that was to spot my first Messier object. I put my 25mm wide back in and lined up with the cluster below his belt. I had it almost bang in the middle of the view...and it was absolutely stunning! Even with the thousands of other stars cramming the eyepiece, the wispy white shading of the nebula was jumping out.

Once seen...never forgotten.

I even went back out again later to see if it was still there...:D

You're exactly right. Had a quick look earlier on through some SkyMaster 15x70's and even through them it's amazing!

"Once seen...never forgotten." Never a truer word said!!

Well done Swampstar first of many I hope.

My first ever views of M42 and Pleiades were through 15x70 Binoculars. Maybe it was the fact that it was my first sight of them but for me that view remains the most vivid and I still thrills me even now.

AFA which is best to start with, you cannot beat the "M" list. But why limit yourself to one particular list. The Caldwell list contains many of the Messier objects, and several that Messier missed! ( The "double cluster" is NOT an "M" object, for instance ! )

If you want a further challenge, there is always the "Hershel 400" which at least one member of our club is working toward ! Then there is the IC and NGC catalogs - - - but that is getting a bit silly, I realize.

The point is, there is a lot more up there to see than you will ever manage in your lifetime. But it sure is fun to pursue the search !

Jim S.

It's certainly true that once seen never forgotten for M42. I first saw it through a little 50mm refractor, I found it by accident and wondered what on earth it was - it w only later that I realised it was M42. Well done on seeing your first Messier!:)

Archived