Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh, to have young eyes again

Bluey

We had the grandkids this weekend, also got the first chance to try the new scope, so I set up and they came out to have a look.

First target was Orion Nebula, easy to find and pretty spectacular.

It looked stunning when viewed through the scope for the first time, I was blown away. Anyway, the eight year old had a look, and the first thing he said was "wow, it's green!"

I've heard people say there is a green hue to it, but it really stood out to him, makes me wish for young eyes again, unfortunately I think it's all downhill from here at 50!

Both kids loved looking, but the 12 year old was fascinated and came in when we finished to get straight on the internet and research new targets for next time, I think we have a new recruit o our ranks!

M42 would be a superb sight in your 10" Dob. and does have a greenish colouring easily discernible in a large light grasp mirror.

Of course as you know, the Hydrogen green turns to red when Imaged :).

Those young eyes do have an advantage don't they? and it they would be excited seeing it. They will love all the other splendid views that scope will deliver too. Nice to have youngsters take an interest, and it will give great pleasure showing them around the night sky :D.

Ron.

I had exactly the same experience with my lad last night (he's 15, I'm 46).

Got the Nebula in the eyepiece of my 6" SCT and was purring to myself at the great view. My lad had a look and declared it was green and blue! All black and white to me

Lovely though. Worth the price of the scope and night in -5 temperatures alone

50!! You are still a youngster.

Doesn't feel like it sometimes, bent double behind a finderscope in -4 degrees!

Showing the kids new stuff is a good feeling, they are really enthusiastic, and I could hear the wonder in the "wow" they both gasped when they looked through the eyepiece, long may it continue!

Wait til you get in your 60s ! Floaters in the left eye, bug the heck out of me. That is why I am taking up photography. You can see wonderful colors in a LOT of the DSOs up there ; but you gotta have "the right stuff" ! Visual astronomy just doesn't cut it for me, any more.

Jim

As a kid I would count naked-eye stars in the Pleiades and could easily get into double figures - now it's a blur with four or five bright points in it.

On the other hand, when I used to look at Jupiter with my childhood telescope (a 40mm refractor with 30x fixed magnification) I could see no details on the planet's disc. A couple of years ago I dug out that scope, aimed it through double-glazed windows at Jupiter, and immediately saw an equatorial cloud band.

What we lose in physical ability we gain in experience.

Slightly off-topic, but I regret not being able to hear bats any more! I remember being in my youth and out observing in the garden accompanied by the high-pitched squeaks and clicks of Pipistrelles and Noctules. Apparently, you cease to be able to hear them by your mid-20s.

Having said that, Orion still looks faintly green to me.

Orion still looks very green to me at 45 but its a good job its a long way off else I would not be able to see it!

My big annoyance is the floaters... I have what appears to be an entire village street system in my right eye...:D

you have my sympathy, i have had floaters in both eyes for years, drives me mad sometimes and apparently theres nothing that can be done to fix em

The main advantage I find about the young is, they seem to be impervious to the cold ! never mind their eyesight.

They were walking around in t-shirts at the weekend round here, I had more skins than a spanish onion on !!!

Must be getting nesh in my 38th year.....

Archived