Eyepieces

Hi everyone!

I have asked about eyepieces recently and have had some excellent advice in steering clear of a set until I know what my viewing preferences are.

I'm aware that the eyepieces supplied with my Skywatcher 127 are a bit questionable, particularly with the 10mm EP.

With that in mind, I'd like to buy a Celestron x cel eyepiece priced at roughly £70. I'd probably go for a 9mm ish EP and keep the standard Barlow lens and 25mm EP for now.

Anyone think I'm going the wrong way about it before I spend some money??:)

Thanks

Steering clear of a set is excellent advice?

I'd disagree with that. Eyepiece sets contain eyepieces suitable for a range of targets and viewing conditions. Some nights poor conditions can mean your higher power eyepieces give a mushy view...when a 9mm is too much a 12mm is just right. Tricky to do with a limited range of eyepieces and that's the advantage of a set. A good set of plossls may be all the eyepieces you ever need, or a set can show you which eyepieces you use the most and which to upgrade.

Some Celestron X-Cel LX EP's for sale on Ebay.

£40 plus £10 postage from the states, the seller has different focal lenghts as well.

Never bought from the states myself but other members have,

don't know where you stand on lost or damaged items though.

>EBAY<

£40 plus £10 postage from the states, the seller has different focal lenghts as well.

>EBAY<

They usually arrive undamaged but you face the strong possibility of getting caught for import duty etc which, with the handling fees, can add 25% onto the cost :)

>EBAY<

That's the ones I mentioned I went for. Even nailed with customs you're ten quid up.

Looks to be good since he already left feedback.

Small items although they can be less from the US after postage and duty etc can get hit by the Post Office.

They can/do charge something like £12 for charging you the duty etc. It is their "handling fee".

That tends to hike the cost up.

It may depend on who delivers.

Small items although they can be less from the US after postage and duty etc can get hit by the Post Office.

They can/do charge something like £12 for charging you the duty etc. It is their "handling fee".

That tends to hike the cost up.

It may depend on who delivers.

So worst case scenario is that it costs £39.97 + VAT at 20% + £10p&p + £12.

Still in the money but odds on it's just be under £50. After standard UK vendor postage I'm either saving £4 or £24. Worth the gamble since you won't lose anything.

Only mentioned the Post Office charge as it is not known of unless you have had something via the PO.

For a small amount it can be a reasonable proportion that gets added on unexpectedly. I know as I found out one day on some rod building accessories. Nearly said to send it back.

Enjoy the eyepiece and let us all know the ultimate cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived