SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

spc900 back in stock?

Cubemaster

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't say you'll get one for a fiver, but IMHO, that should be the price. If Philips ever see the light, they could manufacure them again and sell thousands of them for £25 or so. I wonder how many people on this forum haven't got one and would dearly love one? A lot I'm sure.

People will of course pay that £53 and they are of course good enough at the price. Especially when you see the Neximage - more or less the same camera with a different coat on at over £100.

The webcam market has moved on...I don't think it would be worth Philips time and money doing another "run" of SPC900nc, for say, a thousand eager astronomers world wide, when they can sell tens' of thousands of the "latest and the best" version to the facebook users etc....we don't even enter into the calculations.....

I had a chat with a philips customer support person earlier on and strangely they said that the SPC900NC's are still being manufactured, hopefully some retailers will be getting some stock soon? :icon_scratch:

Carl

post-21920-133877732882_thumb.jpg

Very interesting to see the chat thread and thanks for sharing. So they could still be making them somewhere then? The company I work for has a large contract with Philips throughout Europe, Asia and South America so I might just give a contact a call tomorrow to see if they are still being made and where, plus where they're being sold to. You never know!

I paid £90 for mine off ebay, but it was LX+AMP Off modded with nosepiece and 2m USB extension. Not seen a clear sky since tho :)

I was lucky enough to get one of these last week and I also modded my Microsoft cam all I need now is some decent weather to compare them.

These were/are selling on ebay atm for £90+ so £53 isn't a bad price

UTR

OK, let's do this!

Dragon's Den....

"Yes, we want to borrow 350,000 GBP to buy the Philips patents and tooling for their old webcam"

"Oh yes"

"We figure the annual sales to amateur astronomers will be a couple of thousand a year"

"What about cost of production and distribution - Oh and marketing"

"We''ll convince the old Chinese suppliers (who already have some very lucrative contracts on"new"cameras) to re-set all their machines and run our webcams for $2 each. My wife/partner/girl friend will look after the office stuff"

"Oh yes"

"So what's your selling price?"

"Well, the forum members think 5 gbp delivered, would be a good price"

"Hmmmm 350K at 4% is 14K in interest, based on 2K sales, that's already 7gbp per part, then you have the actual cost and distribution"

"I'm out"

"I'm out"

"I'm out"

What's with this "gold rush" - there's a "modded" camera on fleabay for £82... yes £82 !!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-SPC900NC-modded-webcam-Astrophotography-SW-/130647137689?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Webcams&hash=item1e6b2d1d99

and it's not SC1 modded, just a normal webcam with nose cone and filter like Morgans used to sell for £30.

I assume there is a world shortage or something for someone wanting to pay that amount for a web cam !

Slightly off topic but not really.... If the spc900 is now out of production and effectively sold out, what replaced it? Surely there must be other cameras out there with the same or better specs that could be used? What was the reason for the spc900 being the holy grail of webcams?

Archived