Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mr Cox & Mr O'Briain effect

paul schofield

Has anybody noticed the amount of items related to astronomy that are out of stock at the moment ?

Maybe its just me, I pick the wrong items to order. But then again it could be the Cox-O'Briain effect, after Stargazing Live.

I tried to order an 8mm BST Explorer yesterday from Skies the Limit, no luck but they are on order,(name on list when they arrive) they have every size but the one I want, hows ya luck. So I thought I would try and pick up a Baader

Neodymium & I.R. Filter, after advice from SGL members, I think there is a general shortage from Baader at the moment, I tried so many places but got lucky in the end with Sherwoods Photo, they had one left in 1.25. So that was a relief after a 2 days hunt. Glad I am not looking for a new telescope.

I tried to order an 8mm BST Explorer yesterday from Skies the Limit, no luck but they are on order,(name on list when they arrive) they have every size but the one I want, hows ya luck.

Sorry - I saw it was the last one and hit the 'emergency overdraft' button.:icon_scratch:

When my wife finds out.....:)

Aha Carl it was you was it ? ha. Tinker1947, similar but it was the Baader Neodymium Filter I was after, maybe should of looked at the UV/IR one on your post. I got there in the end. Hens teeth spring to mind. Hope its worth it.

Mea culpa.:icon_scratch:

Waiting's good for the soul (and the wallet).:)

I confess to being a part of the problem:o. The BCE prompted me to finally get a scope (plus more lovely wallet-draining paraphenallia).

My Baader Neodymium Filter is still on backorder from FLO - guess I'm one of the newbies that keep ordering everything :icon_scratch:

Mark -- im in the same boat mate, the BCE was what pushed me in to getting my first telescope, and like Paul, i struggled to find the one i wanted in stock anywhere in the uk. I ended up having to order from Germany (not a route i wanted to go when parting with as much money), the delivery arrived within 3 days, well packed and 100% working. But as you said stock for almost everything i have ordered since is very hard to get, with most shops on back order.

Dave

I had to go through about ten different retailers trying to find a SW Evostar 120. Only one was able to secure me the 'scope and it was the last one the supplier had until early March!

I bought some EPs yesterday and half expected to be told they were out of stock too, but I must have been lucky as everything arrived this morning. :icon_scratch:

I had to go through about ten different retailers trying to find a SW Evostar 120. Only one was able to secure me the 'scope and it was the last one the supplier had until early March!

Glad I went for the Tal then!

This "effect" happened last year too following "Stargazing Live". I think the demand was a little better anticipated this time around I reckon but has still put the supply chain under some stress clearly.

The used market will also get a boost in a few months though as those who the hobby does not suit offload their gear :)

Many years ago, despite the lack of the internet, there was huge anticipation of the arrival in the skies of Halleys Comet and the manufacturers upped their production signficantly to meet this. Unfortunately, in some cases, this was achieved by reducing quality to the extent that the phrase "Halley Scope" was coined to describe the sub-par scopes that were marketed during that period :icon_scratch:

I was very close to buying the Tal, looks like a great 'scope. Hope you're enjoying it (when the weather allows of course).

After years of Bins I finally bought a scope and.....

Clouds, clouds and more chuffin clouds

Aargh!

To be honest I nearly went for the Evostar 120mm but the raving of Nightfisher and Caldwell14 tipped me over to the Russians.

To be honest I wouldn't have regretted buying the Evo at all - they look like a good scope - sometimes you just make a snap decision otherwise you remain paralysed by indecision.

After years of Bins I finally bought a scope and.....

Clouds, clouds and more chuffin clouds

Aargh!

To be honest I nearly went for the Evostar 120mm but the raving of Nightfisher and Caldwell14 tipped me over to the Russians.

To be honest I wouldn't have regretted buying the Evo at all - they look like a good scope - sometimes you just make a snap decision otherwise you remain paralysed by indecision.

Those same two members nearly sold me the Tal too! :icon_scratch: Had I not been able to source an Evostar, I would definitely have gone for one.

I had two lovely clear nights of seeing here the weekend after buying it. Nothing but clouds since. :)

Those same two members nearly sold me the Tal too! :icon_scratch: Had I not been able to source an Evostar, I would definitely have gone for one.

I had two lovely clear nights of seeing here the weekend after buying it. Nothing but clouds since. :)

Think they're on commission?

Mr. Schofield,

Next time you wish to purchase an item, start a thread announcing what it is you require and all other forum members will abstain from ordering that item.

We will, wont we boys and girls?

We will, wont we boys and girls?

Archived