Is this another robbing b star d?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think everyone who has replied to this thread should contact this guy & ask the appropriate questions. i did so 2 days/nights ago and still no reply.

Great minds think alike bigbox - I asked the question "What is the difference between what you are offering for sale in this package and the free downloads I can find on the software producers websites? For example World Wind JAVA SDK or Celestia: Download.

- seedy-f"

And he replied twice -

1) Thank you for your interest. This is a CD version with full customer

support. If you are already using this software then you do not need to

purchase this item.

Best wishes

- mtsoftwaresolutions

and 2) Just to follow from my previous messages. I just wanted to clarify this

further. You can download Stellarium for free but this is for a CD version.

This is open source software so we are full entitled to distribute the

software and charge small fee to pay for the eBay advertising, production

costs and full customer support. Many people would not know about this

software without viewing our listing.

We are not claiming any copyright to the Stellarium software. If you check

the listing we mention that the individual software installer is released

under the GNU GPL. Our eBay page is copyrighted and so it the images and CD

menu design on the CD-ROM. You are free to use the individual installer

however you wish according to the license and there is an offer for source

code on the CD-ROM. The reason we do not want the CD distributed as a whole

is because it contains our support email address and other details. You are

free to distribute the Stellarium installer.

Are you one of the developers of this software? Please get back to me and

I will do my best to resolve this for you. Please accept my apologies for

any inconvenience caused.

Best wishes

Jonathan

MT Software Solutions

The second reply may have been prompted by my report to ebay, which may have been ever so slightly vexacious in a tongue in cheek sort of way :icon_scratch:

MacOS is partially derived (via NextStep) from BSD. It doesn't contain code from Linux as far as I'm aware however (unless both the BSD and Linux versions share a common ancestor)

James

This always makes me laugh . MacOS = LinuX = Unix in whatever order you want.

Hi Seedyf, Funny that i got the exact, to the letter, reply. I actually went through some of the Pooh he is trying to sell, which includes a few games of which ive got the originals.

Its shocking needs to be closed down in my view...

Regards Ady

This always makes me laugh . MacOS = LinuX = Unix in whatever order you want.

It entirely depends how you look at it.

I've not kept track of things in the last ten years or so, but it was the case that "UNIX" had effectively become a set of conformance tests. If you paid for validation, your product could be considered "UNIX". There are a number of implementations of UNIX-like operating systems that might pass validation or come pretty close that have never been tested.

MacOS, Linux and the BSD variants probably implement enough of the standard to be considered mostly interchangeable, though none are without their own quirks, particularly when it comes to compiling code. I use Linux and the BSDs (and Solaris when required) fairly interchangeably without that much pain.

The relationship between some some products is much closer however, because the codebase for some were used to create others rather than starting from scratch. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the MacOS source still contains code that was originally written for one of the BSD implementations. It's exceptionally unlikely to contain code that was written for Linux.

And then of course there are a whole load of tools on top that get ported from one to another such as the GNU tools and X11.

Most of this is only really relevant if you're wanting to write code to compile across several of the different versions though. If you're sitting at a shell prompt or just want to drag windows around there's very little of any substance to tell them apart.

James

Er,..... I hope the seller isn't too miffed with me.......

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Wonder how many takers I get LOL.....

Please don't bid....

You may find your listing gets removed if he finds it and makes a complaint.

To be honest, and I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, I really don't think he's doing much wrong (morally or legally).

It's not me btw :)

Hi Seedyf, Funny that i got the exact, to the letter, reply. I actually went through some of the Pooh he is trying to sell, which includes a few games of which ive got the originals.

Its shocking needs to be closed down in my view...

Regards Ady

Snap. I got the exact same reply as you two when I sent the question, 'How do you sleep at night knowing you are selling something that people can get for free?' to him.

Technically he probably isn't doing anything wrong...he is selling a product for a tad more expensive than what it is actually available for. What i'm doing is pointing people in the right direction to obtain it for nothing - I think so many people are hyped up by the latest stuff on TV that they will buy before people like us point out that it is a free anyroad. Er....... shall I put my price up and start churning out those CD's......BIG LOL there....... I've had about 50 viewers - I wonder how many actually get the FREE download......I think I might add something to the listing to ask peeps to let me know if they download it as opposed to buy it from Robin Hood or whatever his name is....

i bought one of these before i discovered stellarium free to download, it is exactly the same one so i contacted the seller stating that he had ripped me off, he was very polite about it , he explained he had the license to sell this software and he was covering his costs of putting it on CD and advertising etc, he offered me a refund or a download of some other software of my choice. because he was ok with me and his explanation sounded plausible i took the download, it was some moon map software thing, its ok but a bit over my head at the mo. anyway at the price he's knocking them out at it wasn't going to break the bank, i'm not condoning what he's doing but i don't think this guy is a real b***ard.he's just trying to make a buck or two.

Whilst it is not perfect , for someone like me there have been times whereby i have come accross a piece of software but unfortnately due to the extremely poor broadband speeds i get - it is not practical to do the download. so there are times when i would welcome the opportunity to be able to have the software on a disk.

Whilst it is not perfect , for someone like me there have been times whereby i have come accross a piece of software but unfortnately due to the extremely poor broadband speeds i get - it is not practical to do the download. so there are times when i would welcome the opportunity to be able to have the software on a disk.

I see what you mean but I'm fairly certain plenty of people on here with decent broadband speed would be more than happy to stick the install files on a disc and send it to you, I know I would.

Good Evening slim

That is a very kind gesture and thankyou.

Not a problem, if there is any piece of astronomy software that you are having trouble dloading drop me a PM and I'd be happy to get it to you on disc (as long as it legal of course!).

Bloooooming Heck.......... I never thought about offering to download it for people..... I think i've missed the boat again,,,,,,, on the same sort of theory...if anyone has any confectionery that they want eaten......or maybes lager they need drunk then i'm your man,,,,, I can collect if it's not too far away....or if this works as I hope,you might have to drop it off cos i'll be way to drunk to come and get it....BIG LOL !!!

It comes at the price intended.... I had to put a price of 99p or else I couldnt get it listed.......I aim to keep it going....It's on for 10 days,,,,,,then I will re-list......so long as my windows dont get put out,,,,,,,,

I got a very helpful and informative reply from ebay seller new-generation-2009 to the question I posed. :)

Not a problem, if there is any piece of astronomy software that you are having trouble dloading drop me a PM and I'd be happy to get it to you on disc (as long as it legal of course!).

Any chance of that last Transformers film?

Archived