Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Observatory Build

AstroMadBloke

Hi Bizibilder, Thanks for that will look into it, I'm going to have a wooded floor on the concrete base and going to seperate the area around the pillar from the walking area to cut down on vibrations through the wood. Would this be good enough? I just thought that having the pillar embedded in a larger area of concrete would make it more stable. What did you think of the brake disc idea?

Pete

As long as the floor you're walking on is in some way isolated from the pier base you should be okay. I went for the option of a suspended wooden floor over the pier base.

Dscf1900.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used six concrete pillars to support the floor each about 15-18" cube poured concrete. Then three second hand and well seasoned farm roof beams of 8" by 3" followed by 125x50mm joists and 150x22mm T&G floorboards. The floor is very solid and I can jump up and down on it without any vibrations being transmitted to the scope. The pier base is a cube of 27" sides with the pier on top all poured in the same session. It's rock solid. :D

11-09-13-joists.jpg

Arrrrrg the Shed is coming!!!

The wife hada phone call to day to say the shed will be delivered tomorrow. 28 day it said on the website only been 13! I very impressed with the service but I aint ready for it for one the blumming apple tree is still there and I've not ordered the cement and Ballast yet. Time to Isywizzy let get bizzy me thinks!!!

Progress looks good.

I have a few thoughts about questions you should make sure you have answered before you start down the 'split roof 'path.

- How are you going to seal the gap between the roof halves from driving rain?

- How are you going to secure the two halves together?

Those roof halves are going to be VERY heavy.

- How are you physically going to open them without them slamming down against the sides of the shed or distorting?

- How are you going to close them?

Best wishes

Quite agree! I considered a counterbalanced, hinged roof with seal at the top but after researching all the options and possibilities, rejected it as unworkable. I went for the tried and tested option of a roll off roof with the small modification of part of the side wall rolling off with the roof. Mine is easy to move by hand and works fine.

Quite agree! I considered a counterbalanced, hinged roof with seal at the top but after researching all the options and possibilities, rejected it as unworkable. I went for the tried and tested option of a roll off roof with the small modification of part of the side wall rolling off with the roof. Mine is easy to move by hand and works fine.
In fairness perhaps we should await Pete's explanation:icon_salut:

Re roof weight - 15yrs ago I 'walked' my completed lightweight dome tortoise-like from patio construction site down garden. Can't do that for most RoRs :p Wish I had a video to prove it but was busy at the time :)

Hi folks, I've been looking at the plans today of my shed with the view of designing the roof. Had a few ideas ref' sealing and opening, my thought is to use car door seals at the joint with a secondary part roof cover at the apex to stop water ingress. As for opening/closing, I'm thinking of using M12 threaded bar to wined the roof open the screwing action will also give a tighter fit at the apex when closed, aiding the sealing at the joint.

I know I'll have to strengthen the shed to ensure I keep the structural integrity when the roof is open, and find away to lock the roof down. As I said before these plans may change and I may end up having a ROR. In 8 week time we will loose the observing window here at 57 deg N to very long days, so I'll have all summer to work this out. All I can say is watch this space.

Hi Pete

I have a 10" Meade LX200 on a pier in a 6 foot by 6 foot plastic

Keter shed and there is just enough room for everything.

The best thing about this shed is it is a complete plastic box floor

included and all locks together with roof closed and is completely

weatherproof (on display in B&Q etc).With the roof open the doors can be closed to keep out draughts.

The shed was quite cheap and the rest of fittings off the shelf building straps and electrical channel for roof to roll on. I never costed it up but don't think it came to more than £400.00.

Being plastic means the roof is light and before I made it roll off I

could actually lift it off. Have had it up and running for nearly three years with no problems. Would post pictures if I knew how but only

just joined and haven't figured out how to yet. Also built a telescopic pier but thats another story.

Dave T

Hi Davey, I did look into plastic shed at B& Q/Homebase, But I needed 7x7 minimum as I have an LXD55 10 inch Schmitt Newtonian which 1016mm is almost twice the length of the LX200, and 6x6 would make it just a little tight inside. So decided on and 8x8 to allow room for imaging equipment and expansion if needed.

Hi people, had a productive day today with the build, plus new ideas for the roof. Roof plans were made on my sick bed so take with a pinch of salt as will probably change again just like the mounting plate as you will see. The Fochabers Observatory

Personally, I can't see that lasting long. Hinging the section up from the eaves gives even more chances of water ingress. Not only are you now having to seal the join at the top where the two roof sections meet at the apex, but you'll have to come up with some way of sealing the gap between the fixed part of the roof and the part that folds back.

You also then have the issue of supporting the open flap as it will have a tendency to act as a lever if laid flat as the overhang appears to be greater than the fixed part of the roof.

Personally, I think your designs are too adventurous - stick with the tried and tested design of a ROR, otherwise you are just going to give yourself a lot of headaches trying to keep up with a heavy maintenance load

Phase one of the observatory is now complete, just could not help myself tonight when I got home just had to see what the set up looked liked. I must say I like it!!!!

I know a few people in the SGL were worried about vibration transferring through the floor and up the pier, those fears can now be put to bed. I aimed the scope a near by church steeple and then stamped my feet on the base, not an iota of a shake was seen. My plan worked well. (Smug mode). I think you may be impressed with how this has turned out!

The Fochabers Observatory

Archived