Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MOON ROCK / Lunar meteorite NWA 4881 ebay

smt1988

To the best of my knowledge these ones are real, many reputable dealers do sell them infact I have a couple aswell

That's not to say someone hasn't made a copy but it would seem legit

Ps, sorry about the no fullstops but the button isn't working for some reason :)

edit: Actually I just have one of them but I have a coupe of the Mars rocks series

http://www.meteorites-for-sale.com/catalog/moon-boxes.html

It's genuine but the price is a little high for the quantity on offer. The seller is a member of IMCA. Here is a link to the official registration document for this meteorite (NWA 4881):

Meteoritical Bulletin: Entry for Northwest Africa 4881

It's paired (ie: thought to be from the same fall) with two other finds from the same area.

I used to have some lunar and martian meteorite samples. Lunar is rarer than martian and commands a higher price per gram.

Isn't there any other websites you can get the lunar meteorite samples cheaper

You can buy direct from dealers, most of whom are USA based. The UK ones tend to be a bit on the pricey side to be honest - there are only a couple of them.

In the past I built up a number of meteorite collections and most of my specimens came via e.bay dealers (IMCA registered ones though !). I used to approach dealers direct for specific, more unusual specimens which don't appear on e.bay often.

This web site is a good source of links:

Meteorite - Meteorites For Sale - Meteorite Dealers - News & Links

There is no import tax / duty to pay in the UK on mineral specimens as far as I recall.

i found a small one once whilst out with the metal detector my mate took it to uni a sheff and they verified it was one but cold not tell me where from

They would need to take a sample and analyse it to tell i) if it's meteoric and ii) what type it is. Certain types have known sources like Mars, the Moon or Vesta. The rest are debris left over from when the solar system formed.

Two years ago I purchased a nice piece of iron meteorite from a stall at at the Kelling Heath Star Party. I think the the bloke I bought from was from Norwich and the chap that runs "Spacerocks" on the net. It cost the grand sum of £10 which I thought top value for a rock left over from the creation of the solar system. I'm no meteorite expert but it sits on a shelf in my dining room and pleases me immensely! Hope helpful.

The rest are debris left over from when the solar system formed.

I bet the Jovians say that about us, too.

"Those little lumps of rock further in? Yeah, they're just stuff left over from when our gas planets were formed. Tell you what; there's another meteor coming in. Why don't we swing it by one of them, see how close we can get?"

:)

James

"..... Tell you what; there's another meteor coming in. Why don't we swing it by one of them, see how close we can get?".....

Thats a distinct possibility James :icon_eek: Mind you they got it a bit wrong with Shoemaker–Levy 9 didn't they - talk about an own goal :)

Archived