Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Epetition - dark skies

sirmetin

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Signed it.

I think it is a great idea but for anything like this to stand a chance people have to get proactive. ...... It would be handy if we could have a sticky but then I think we are into the realms of making SGL political.

Well said 'foundaplanet', though I don't believe it would be too radical to ask for this to be made sticky? How about it mods, could we do a bit more perhaps? Thanks! :)

Signed it.

Well said 'foundaplanet', though I don't believe it would be too radical to ask for this to be made sticky? How about it mods, could we do a bit more perhaps? Thanks! :)

Surely the whole point of SGL is to unite people to admire the beauty of the night sky? It CAN'T be to radical to support this. Come on guys, let's do it :)

without trying to sound like an evil old git;

- Even if we reach the # of signatures required, all that means is the committee responsible for this 'experiment in direct democracy' has to consider if the petition is worth debating in parliment. It doesnt mean it will be debated.

- Without a parlimentary sponsor the chance of it getting debated remains at 0

- Even if debated in the house of commons, the usual arguments of 'preventing the fear of crime' etc will be trotted out, not to mention there will be some minister who will try to score points by bringing up the 'cost' of such lighting changes in a time of recession. It will probably end up considered as pointless waste of time after all the 'debating' has ended

Despite all that I have passed on the link to as many people as I know who are capable of understanding the point behind it and signed it myself. I'm just pointing out the remoteness of the chances involved.

I have just looked at the signature count again. Only 2121 signatures.

I know that stargazers/astronomers are generally an easy going bunch who don't go out and protest, or make a big noise.

But our dark skies have now been eroded to the point of non-existence in many parts of the UK.

There is a difference between easy going and apathetic that needs to be considered. If someone (WE) don't do something, there won't be any night sky for our children to enjoy.

If you are an SGL member who has not signed, perhaps you would be good enough to tell (the few who of) us who have signed the reasons for abstinence.

OK. Fume and rant over.

Archived