NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Andriod app

Hello All

I have been lucky with some clear weather over the last few days apart from it being freezing cold :).

I have been using the stellarium and its helping me get there slowly but i am still struggling :S. I was wondering if there are apps for the andriod smart phone?

The reason I am looking for this is due to a perfect view of the moon from my garden and no other stars (as yet tonight), The only other item in the sky is a single bright star or I think its venus when i check on the pc.

Again sorry up front if this is abit dense lol

Google sky.

Works Like all the rest, leave the motion on and you can just point at the stars you are looking at.

It'll ruin your night vision though so you might want to think about some kind of red filter. I took some red transparent film that florists use and ran 9 layers cut to the shape of my phone through a laminator.

Works a treat!

I use an app called 'Skeye' (has night mode). Also 'Lunafaqt' for moon phases, rise and set times etc. Both are free.

The Bright object to the moon's West is Jupiter and lower down just over the SW horizon is Venus :)

Ed

I use an app called Star Chart. It's amazing and it's got night mode (red screen). You can select an object from the menu and an arrow on the screen will show you which way to point your phone.

It also has a kind of pause and zoom mode if you can call it that.

Have a look at an app called Mobile Observatory. Another really good app, has a callender of things to look out for for the next two weeks, deep sky object list, comet list and loads more. Well worth a look.

D.C

Google sky.

Works Like all the rest, leave the motion on and you can just point at the stars you are looking at.

It'll ruin your night vision though so you might want to think about some kind of red filter. I took some red transparent film that florists use and ran 9 layers cut to the shape of my phone through a laminator.

Works a treat!

Another vote for google sky maps. It does also have a night view mode

I got both on my phone now as last time i used the google sky map it didt work to well.

Does this count as part of my astronomy gear lol, sod it i add anyway as the misses wont let me get my telescope or camera this month :)

Thanks again for the help

Archived